Correct gas hose for pressure transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lax coach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased two SS BrewBuckets, which I'm planning to modify with a weldless 1.5" Triclamp ferrule so I can use this fitting for blowoffs and pressure transfer:

DSC_8760-2_2000x.jpg

I'm thinking I need a tube that fits over this barb (3/8") on one end, and has a gas post on the other, unless I want to just take a bare tube all the way back to the regulator. However, gas hose at brewhardware only comes in 1/4" and 3/16". Can I use their 3/8 silicone tubing for this, or should I be looking for 3/8" PVC like this at Amazon? The BrewBucket is not a pressure vessel, so I'm looking for 1-2 psi.

You could probably use this and get it over a 3/8" barb if you put the end in boiling/hot water for 20 seconds, and probably be able to clamp it onto a 3/16" barb. Plus it's rated for 45psi and only $.25/ft (much cheaper than the amazon stuff)

It is going to need to be removable though, because when I'm not cold crashing or pressure transferring, I'm going to need to put a blowoff hose into a bucket of starsan. If I have to boil it every time, that might not be workable :)

It is going to need to be removable though, because when I'm not cold crashing or pressure transferring, I'm going to need to put a blowoff hose into a bucket of starsan. If I have to boil it every time, that might not be workable :)

Oh...I see. You could just use one of these and some hose clamps to connect the different size hoses. Like just make a gas line with a QD on one end, and then this barb on the other. Hook it up the end of your blow when you need to...

EDIT: For your transfer hose you could use this on one end, and then the barb on the other. Connect it to your blowoff via clamps and the you can use one of your normal gas disconnects

Last edited:
Be very careful. As you said yourself, Brew Buckets are not made for pressure transfers and 1-2 PSI might be all it takes to damage them.

Be very careful. As you said yourself, Brew Buckets are not made for pressure transfers and 1-2 PSI might be all it takes to damage them.

It's fully supported by SS Brewtech, as long as you don't suddenly pressurize to 2.5+ psi:

https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/e...zed-transfer-with-the-Brew-Bucket-s-flat-lid-

The PRV built into the Pressurized Transfer fitting I bought from them (pictured in the first post) is calibrated to blow between 2.0 and 2.5 lbs.

The only difference between my setup and the one in their article is that I intend to install a weldess thermowell in the original blow-off hole, instead of a plug.

I pressure transfer from a plastic fermenter, I think your SS will be fine...

there is a 3" tc to ball lock gas post that includes a PRV. that's what i use on my chronicle BME. you'd need to use a 3" to 1.5" reducer.

Ordered the hose and QD barb that @GoeHaarden suggested. For now I will just leave it attached whether doing positive pressure CO2 (racking or crashing) or blowoff. Worst case I might need to replace the o-ring on the QD every once in a while. But that's a preferable option to reconfiguring the hoses regularly.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Back