Coconut Tincture -When to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Daley

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've made approximately 10 batches of beer and a few ciders over the years but never really experimented much from the kits I've been buying. Currently I'm making a milk stout from an extract recipe and planned on adding some toasted coconut. I had a few questions I wanted to seek advice on as this is my first time using it.

My idea is to make a tincture with 1-2lbs of toasted shredded coconut and using a coconut rum (I'm going for big coconut flavor). So my questions:

1) should I add that to the primary or secondary? I've used secondary in the past to dry hop but never to flavor, wondering if I should bother with a secondary or just add it to primary.

2) Will this need to ferment longer after adding it? I've read some people will add it straight to bottling but I figured it would have new sugars to eat and would need to be fermented.

3) I thought I would soak the coconut then add the liquid straight to the bucket and the shredded coconut in a weighted muslin bag to whatever step, is that overkill? Do I need to bother with the shredded?

The base stout is already in primary and the airlock is rocking! I appreciate the help!

I would add the coconut to secondary. Soulshine just did a choc coconut recently. The only thing I've done with coconut is an extract kit from Brewers best. It was toasted coconut ale. It was my very first brew. I dont remember any coconut but I do remember the coconut extract . It definitely had a slight coconut flavor and turned out pretty good . Could have been a little more imo though. As of tinctures I'd soak it for 7 days then dump it all in your secondary. Soulshine will probably have some good advice for you or just search for that thread . Good luck and I'm sure it will taste great.

Back