CO2 PVC Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imhoppy

Reaction score
Found a solution to support my extra 5 lb. CO2 cylinder after reviewing other ideas gleaned from various search results and came up with this.

20210826_111920.jpg

20210826_112012.jpg

PVC fittings:
Qty 4, $1.87 ea, 1/2-in x 1/2-in x 1/2-in dia 90-Degree Side Outlet Elbow.
Qty 8, $0.45 ea, 1/2-in x 1/2-in x 1/2-in dia 90-Degree Tee.
Qty 4, $0.51 ea, 1/2-in x 1/2-in dia Schedule 40 Cap.

PVC pipe: Qty 5, $1.88 ea, 1/2-in x 2 ft 600-PSI schedule 40 white.

PVC Cement: Oatey, 8-oz, $6.28

Leftover door jamb, 1x2, and stain: Free!

Total: $28.80 - $2.88 (10% Lowes military discount) + $1.81 tax = $27.73

Notes:
1. Stand base length and width about 16" x 16" for stability, matching approx. height of 5 lb CO2 clylinder.
2. Used leftover wood scraps for base and finished with Danish Oil natural oak. Glued two 1x2 pieces to bottom of door jamb for tight fit in between PVC section.
3. PVC cuts: 4 @ 15", 8 @ 5.25", 4 @ 3.25", and 4 @ 3.75".
4. Wiped off black print on PVC with nail polish remover for a cleaner look. Hint: do this before glueing (my mistake).

I might make something for the 2.5# tank I have. Since once I put the regulator on it, it wants to tip over. I don't have that issue with the 5# tank. I won't use PVC but some of the steel angle iron I have on hand.

I like that. I may see about building the cage, and somehow attaching the uprights to the side of my Keezer, so I don’t need to horizontal stabilizers...

looks great!

I like that. I may see about building the cage, and somehow attaching the uprights to the side of my Keezer, so I don’t need to horizontal stabilizers...

looks great!

Thanks archi77.

One neat thing about sharing DYI projects is that they give others a creative idea or thought on how to solve something for their particular set-up. And then that idea can morph into something else to solve a similar problem. Things to consider include the selection and availability of materials, cost, and utilizing tools and extra stuff that you might already have. Of course, like all DYI projects, there are countless ways to end up solving a particular issue that one may have.

The issue in my case was when the CO2 tank was getting lighter, making it more top-heavy due to the regulator, hoses, and fittings, combined with gentle tugging on the hoses to connect the CO2 for the intended purpose (i.e., purging activities) causing the CO2 tank to topple over due to no support. So I wanted a stand with a wide enough footprint to ensure that didn't happen. Problem solved! Plus, I can now store the tank without worry of it being knocked over, busting the gas cylinder valve, and creating a deadly projectile that could wreak havok on my fermenting beer, among other things lol.

Thanks archi77.

One neat thing about sharing DYI projects is that they give others a creative idea or thought on how to solve something for their particular set-up. And then that idea can morph into something else to solve a similar problem. Things to consider include the selection and availability of materials, cost, and utilizing tools and extra stuff that you might already have. Of course, like all DYI projects, there are countless ways to end up solving a particular issue that one may have.

The issue in my case was when the CO2 tank was getting lighter, making it more top-heavy due to the regulator, hoses, and fittings, combined with gentle tugging on the hoses to connect the CO2 for the intended purpose (i.e., purging activities) causing the CO2 tank to topple over due to no support. So I wanted a stand with a wide enough footprint to ensure that didn't happen. Problem solved! Plus, I can now store the tank without worry of it being knocked over, busting the gas cylinder valve, and creating a deadly projectile that could wreak havok on my fermenting beer, among other things lol.
Good point.

I’m thinking if I include the T’s that are at the bottom of the uprights, I could temporarily attach the outriggers if I ever needed a stand-alone support, but take them off when it’s attached to the Keezer. Maybe with strong Velcro strips or some sort of clamp system or something. I’ll have to make it and test it out... DIY= constant modifying until it’s perfect for the situation lol

Back