CO2 Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterpasha

Reaction score
Backstory: I have been fermenting lagers in a ball-lock keg in my small old keezer. It's just big enough for one keg and a growler for the blowoff tube. I'm using a blowoff tube connected a disconnect on the gas-in post in which I have removed the poppet cause I didn't want any kreusen gunking up the post. I've done a couple of lagers like this with a little sucess, it hasn't been brilliant, but it hasn't been a disaster until now. I haven't had the best success with transferring under pressure, so I've been using an auto-siphon to transfer from the fermenting keg to a secondary keg for the longer lagering. The previous brew before this one, I had a brain-fart senior's moment, and pulled the disconnect without venting the fermentation co2 from the keg. Needless to say, there was a magnificent geyser of beer!

Current situation: About 2 weeks ago, I decided to transfer the beer from the primary keg to the secondary keg, it had been in the primary for over 2 weeks and I wanted to get set up for another lager brewday. I pulled the pressure relief pin and heard a lot of gas venting from the keg. After about 45 seconds of this, I started to get foam through the pressure relief and I stopped venting. I figured that venting had caused the gas to come out of suspension in the beer and had produced a large head in the keg. So I figured no harm, no foul, I'll put it back in the keezer for another week until the head can reduce, figuring the cold lagering temperature would help. The keezer is set to 40F for lagering. But after a week, I still had an incredible amount of foam coming through the vent.
I gave it another week at 40F and tried again, same result. Now I figured that I had no way to relieve the still-considerable pressure inside the keg, so I might as well try to transfer it under pressure to a secondary keg using the naturally occurring co2 as a propellant.
But all I got was foam. I could see nothing but foam in the transfer tubing, so after about 5 minutes I stopped that and put a picnic tap on a beer line and pulled a glass. Foam.
20190407_133418.jpg

I don't know what else to do other than transfer this to an open bucket and wait for the foam to dissipate before transferring it to a secondary keg for longer lager, but by then the exposure to oxygen will be fatal.

Recipe:

Title: American Pils
Author: Wharf Works

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Classic American Pilsner
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 50% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.93%
IBU (tinseth): 35.08
SRM (morey): 10.43
Mash pH: 5.53

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - Pilsner (66.7%)
2 lb - Pale 2-Row (13.3%)
2 lb - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (13.3%)
1 lb - Munich - 60L (6.7%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 29.75
0.5 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 5.33

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 18.75 qt
2) Temperature, Temp: 170 F, Time: 20 min, lauter
3) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 12 qt
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast S-23

Anyone experienced anything like this?

I'd double check your blow off system to make sure it's actually blowing off. A fermenter with a properly working blowoff should have only a little, if any, dissolved CO2. If it were me I'd degas in the container it's currently in. Making sure the airlock or blow off is working and unobstructed. The foam will subside. If foam is a recurring issue I'd look into getting some Fermcap S anti foam agent.

Gotta be the most overcarbonated beer in history.
I'd blame the spunding valve...if one had been used.

Am I getting this right that essentially that keg was so plugged it fermented under pressure with no control? Yikes...

You said that you removed the poppet in the keg, Did you remove the corresponding parts in the disconnect? If not you fermented in a sealed container and created a massively over carbonated beer.

If it were me I'd degas in the container it's currently in.
That! ^
Do not put your beer in an open container (bucket), it will oxidize in record time. CO2 will protect it. Just vent off frequently until all foaming stops.

More importantly, how does it taste?
I'm really curious how this fermented under super high pressure. It might not be done yet.

I also wonder if the pressure was high enough for it to open the PRV. It probably never reached that high, the yeast may have called it quits at some point before it even reached dangerous pressure.

Yeah, the slot on the top of the disconnect side for a screwdriver. Here is a picture of one taken apart. To make a free flowing disconnect remove the two parts on the left.

Pin and ball lock are similar designs.

Sorry about the bad picture quality.
IMG_20190408_114505995.jpeg
1554738594525.jpeg

Am I getting this right that essentially that keg was so plugged it fermented under pressure with no control? Yikes...

Well, not really. The shut-off valve in the disconnect has a rather weak spring, I reckon it will take just a few PSI to have it start releasing pressure, which the OP will certainly have observed through the blow-off. Basically the disconnect just acted as a non-adjustable spunding valve set at an indeterminate pressure.

To the OP: you really need a manometer if you want to try and measure the CO2 content of your beer, otherwise you are really only shooting in the dark. If you want to transfer carbonated beer to a second keg you really need to push it with CO2 from a tank so that pressure in the donor keg will remain constant, otherwise as pressure drops the beer will inevitably start foaming and all you'll have is a big mess.

Well, not really. The shut-off valve in the disconnect has a rather weak spring, I reckon it will take just a few PSI to have it start releasing pressure, which the OP will certainly have observed through the blow-off. Basically the disconnect just acted as a non-adjustable spunding valve set at an indeterminate pressure.

Well thanks, now I have an experiment for later.

Latest posts

Back