Cleaning Old Stainless Steel Sink and Tables

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo_leon

Reaction score
hello all!

My question is basically the title- what’s the best way to clean used stainless steel table/sink?

My brew buddy and I have been keeping an eye on CL recently for SS stuff since our old plastic utility sink broke and our worktable is wood which is a no-no for brewing. Luckily we were able to nab a 7’ table and a 7’ sink plus a couple side tables on wheels, all at an incredible price.

The sink needs the most work as seems there is grease and dirt all over the bottom, and the tables could use a deep cleaning.

I’ve done some reading and seems that the best recommendation is basically green scotchbrite pad with barkeeps friend plus elbow grease. I’m wondering if I should try mild dish soap and warm water first on the grease/gunky areas then follow up with BKF/scotchbrite. I want to make sure I don’t ruin the stainless tho.

Also on the side tables, some of the wheels are gummed up. Any tips on cleaning them? They seem to be regular caster wheels but rather try to clean than replace.

Your advice would be great!

Powdered BKF is made for stainless steel and I'm a big fan of it (don't bother with the liquid form, imo). I wouldn't fear going straight to it though I'd start with a thin paste and a stiff sponge before resorting to the green scrubbies.

If you can disassemble the casters the cleaning options expand (ie: you probably don't want to soak an entire caster in solvent if you're dealing with grease)...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Powdered BKF is made for stainless steel and I'm a big fan of it (don't bother with the liquid form, imo). I wouldn't fear going straight to it though I'd start with a thin paste and a stiff sponge before resorting to the green scrubbies.

If you can disassemble the casters the cleaning options expand (ie: you probably don't want to soak an entire caster in solvent if you're dealing with grease)...

Cheers!

Thank you! Will look into disassembling the casters. Following up- Can I use bkf or pbw to clean/soak the faucets in? They are grimy and may have to replace the sprayer. Not sure if the faucet is SS, could be chrome plated.

Additionally, is it possible to replace the tubing?

I would resist using BKF on shiny faucets as it does contain abrasives that will likely dull anything very highly polished (like my Perlick faucets, for instance). Stick with PBW...

Cheers!

Absolutely on using the bkf for the faucets as well. As for the tubing, a picture would be worth a thousand words.

I was talking about the tube that connects to the sprayer (pic below). it may be easier to just replace that as well, since the bones (faucet/sprayer setup) are in good shape but the plastic is old/worn out.

commercial-kitchen-pre-rinse-faucet-tap-spray-head-sprayer-with-flexible-hose.jpg

I would resist using BKF on shiny faucets as it does contain abrasives that will likely dull anything very highly polished (like my Perlick faucets, for instance). Stick with PBW...

Cheers!

the faucet doesn't look to be polished - it's old and beat up so hard to tell if it's chrome plated or something similar lol! can do a pbw soak first to see if that helps

Cheers!

the faucet doesn't look to be polished - it's old and beat up so hard to tell if it's chrome plated or something similar lol! can do a pbw soak first to see if that helps

I guess it’s like the directions always say “test in an inconspicuous spot before using”..... I’ve never had an issue with it scratching, but would feel bad if it caused your equipment harm. PBW is certainly safer, but don’t expect it to remove the deeper stains.

Back