Chumbo Rosado recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was recently in the Sierra Nevada taproom in Asheville, NC and among the many great beers I had the Chumbo Rosado stood out. My wife who is a wine drinker primarily and just tolerates beer also really enjoyed this one. At her request we bought a crowler of it to bring home.

I am even considering buying a barrel and aging tequila in it to try and recreate that aspect of the beer.

Information about this beer from the brewery website:
Chumbo Rosado
10oz 7 | crowler 22
ABV 10.8 , IBU 16
Tequila barrel-aged, prickly pear, hibiscus, fruit punch

Anyone have any suggestions for a recipe? I did a google search and came up with nothing.

Last edited:
Start with a basic ale recipe, then decide how you want to deal with the fruit. For the tequila barrel, I'd soak oak chips in Tequila for a few weeks before adding them to the beer. Or you could buy the tequila barrel chips I've seen available. For me I'd do all of the fruit post primary fermentation, or perhaps add the fruit punch by simply fruit punch at high k and then ticture the prickly pear and hibiscus. That's just me. :mug:

Back