Chocolate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I THOUGHT on a NB video on their website, on BrewTV, I watched a stout-based episode where they made a chocolate stout using some semi-sweet Baker's chocolate. They used probably about 4 ounces and melted it in the microwave with some hot wort in a mixing bowl and then added it to the boil towards the end. However, I've read/heard you're not supposed to use anything with preservatives in beer. I am not sure if there are preservatives in there or not, but I have some in my pantry and wanted to try it in an upcoming chocolate stout. The ingredients for semi-sweet Baker's Chocolate are: semi-sweet chocolate (chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, soy lecithin [emulsifier], vanilla extract.

Would you use this, and if so, how much? The bar I have is 4 oz.

I'd use cocoa powder instead, at the end of the boil.

Bakers chocolate is going to have a lot of fat, which you don't want.

I just did stout with 4 oz of raw nibs. I put them in with about 10 minutes of boil left. The chocolate flavor is perfect! I have read several threads about soaking the nibs in vodka with a vanilla bean for a week or two. I will try that next.

I used 2 Oz of the bakers bar chocolate, tossed it in at flame out. My head retention was still good and it tasted delicious. Make sure your grain bill supports it and use whatever chocolate source you like.

I also used, for the same batch, 2 Oz nibs and an ass load of coffee grinds, all at flame out. I'm amazed the beer turned out so well with all the oils and fats everyone warns about.

I have seen a lot of different recommendations when it comes to chocolate.

One recommendation that I have not seen recommended very often is using cacao powder in mash (if doing all grain or BIAB). I did this with a RIS recently, along with cacao nib in secondary.

The cacao powder in mash helps prevent grittiness that some people complain about when using powder. This gave good flavor, used 4 oz myself, next time I will reduce this though.

The cacao nib in secondary gave a good smell, and I imagine helped with the flavor as well. I used 3 oz for this.

Next time I think I will go with 2oz for powder and nibs, as it turned out very chocolaty.

Last edited:
I'd use cocoa powder instead, at the end of the boil.

Bakers chocolate is going to have a lot of fat, which you don't want.

What will be the problem? I used 4 ounces that I chopped up and melted and put in at the end of the boil. It's fermenting now. Hope it turns out. I might even use some nibs in secondary and make it super chocolatey!

What will be the problem? I used 4 ounces that I chopped up and melted and put in at the end of the boil. It's fermenting now. Hope it turns out. I might even use some nibs in secondary and make it super chocolatey!

The fats and oils could be a problem for head retention, I think that's why everyone worries about chocolate.

Serve it on nitro and it'll be excellent :)

Head retention is not much of a concern to me - as long as I get good taste, aroma, mouthfeel and ABV, that's all I really care about in my homebrew (and sometimes clarity, but that's not the case here).

Agreed! if you do care about the head retention, you can always throw some flaked grains in

Too late now - it's fermenting. Used WYeast 1098 and while I see the yeasties doing their thing and the airlock is bubbling away there is hardly any krausen forming - just a very active top THIN layer of bubbles moving around and popping constantly.

Back