Chocolate malt for a stout - Not sure if it's a stout now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christophrawr

Reaction score
Hello,

First time brewing a darker beer and only had chocolate malt available. Didn't think about if it would even work as the only dark grain in a stout. I had oatmeal stout in mind but in reality do you think this recipe will be more like something else (porter, brown ale, whatever ale)? I'm curious as I'd like to carbonate it according to the style I may have unknowingly brewed if not a stout.

1 Gallon BIAB Batch
1 lb 3.4 oz Pale Malt (60.8%)
3.40 oz Chocolate Malt (10.6%)
3.40 oz Flaked Oats (10.6%)
3.40 oz Flaked Rye (10.6%)
2.40 oz Crystal Malt 60 (7.5%)

0.09 oz Colombus 14.5% AA bittering hop at 60 minutes (60 minute boil) (29.7 IBUs)

1/2 pack US-05 Dry Yeast

OG: 1.055

The color in the fermenter is reeeeaaalllly chocolate brown. I'm also worried I maybe made something too sweet/malty since there's no darker grains like roasted barley or black malt to mingle with the chocolate and crystal malts.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

I personally wouldn't call it a stout without any roasted malt in it.
I'd call it a porter myself.
I might also suggest raising the percentage of your base malt.
Perhaps when the yeast starts slowing down, raise the temp a bit and shake the fermenter daily to keep the yeast going as to dry the brew out a little more than it would on it's own.
Good luck.

So are pail malts.......all malts are.
I was specifically referring to what is commercially called "roasted malt"

This is a grey area, but I'd call this more of a porter than a stout without the roast barley or black malt. Carbonation levels should be pretty similar either way.
You may also find it turns black when the yeast drops out. 10% chocolate is a fair bit and should make it very dark, depending what type of chic malt.

Back