Chill plate vs Keezer/Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce_the_loon

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the story. I've been looking into a bar build including a 2 or 3 tap draft tower and am considering a multi-line chill plate in an ice machine bin instead of a keezer/kegerator keeping the kegs cold.

Pro-wise, I've got instant cooling instead of waiting for a swapped keg to get cold, using the ice machine for a second purpose, lower power usage overall since I can leave the ice machine off when the bar is closed and lower cost on the build.

Con-wise, carbonation/flavours being affected by higher storage temps in the keg and no ice-temp cold crash while the keg is carbonating under pressure then standing while being served.

Cleaning-wise, both solutions seem to be the same, flushing lines with BLC and water until clean.

Can the wise out there advise me of anything I have missed in my thoughts, pitfalls encountered, warnings etc.

American equipment/appliance prices don't apply here, new freezers are in the $300 to $400 range and old ones that are usable are incredibly scarce. Appliances are run until they die properly for economic reasons down here in South Africa.

Back