Cherry Wood BOMM - 1 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
Started 1/11/19

I found and interesting source for cherry wood staves called Beyond Barrels. While they advertise for use in spirits, I thought the cherry wood staves in a cherry mead would be a beautiful blend. Don’t know until you try!

1. Add 2 lbs of Yaupon Holly Honey to a carboy. This honey has a bit of a cherry note to it. Seems like a good match.
2. Add 1/2 tsp pectinase (Optional).
3. Add 0.7 tsp of Fermaid O.
-Add again at 1.100 & 1.060.
4. Add 1/8 tsp K2CO3 and 0.4 tsp Fermaid K. One time only.
5. Add Knudsen’s tart cherry juice to ~half a gallon.
6. Shake/swirl like hell to dissolve honey and aerate.
7. Add tart cherry juice to 1/2 cup shy of 1 gallon.
8. Add 1 stave of Beyond Barrels cherry wood.
9. Placed carboy and 1 activated smack pack of Wyeast 1388 in 70 F temperature controlled chamber for 1 hour, then pitched yeast. This equilibrates the yeast and must temperatures to avoid shocking the yeast.
10. After it reaches a stable gravity (~1.010), rack into secondary. Perhaps add vanilla bean depending on the flavor from the wood.
11. Cold crash until clear and bottle.
12. When ready to serve, drink as an aperitif or mix half and half with carbonated water, champagne or a sparkling dry mead as a summer quencher.

Specs
SG 1.132
FG 1.010
ABV ~16%

Day 2
Added nutrients. As always, swirling daily.

Day 5
Gravity 1.028. Tastes wonderful with a nice tartness. Still fermenting strong. Can’t wait to see how this is once the cherry wood comes through.

Day 26

Very potent cherry. The tannins from the cherry wood both reinforce the flavor and make it taste drier than the 1.011 FG would suggest. It needs more time on the cherry wood to increase body. I also think a bit of vanilla would help the cherry pop more. Added 1 whole vanilla bean.

I'll have to give this a shot, I bet its got a beautiful color to it, Take pictures!

Back