Cheap way to make k type thermocouple into probe/penetration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I bought a pid kit off amazon, and it came with a k type thermocouple with a threaded end. My hope was to be able to find a probe that could screw onto that end, but I can't find anything. Over at thermoworks, they sell lots of k type "penetration" probes (http://tinyurl.com/y95rxhz3), but all have a male plug, vs the wiring my thermocouple came with.
Whats the cheapest way to convert this threaded ending to a probe ending?
Photo of thermocouple from eBay

The cheapest way is to throw it away and replace it with a PT100 (more accurate, and your PID controller can probably work with it) or K-type thermocouple in a probe, or in an NPT threaded fitting with the correct length of probe for your application.

The thermocouple in that housing is bonded to the short probe on the threaded fitting. Adding some kind of probe won't move the sensor element and the thermocouple will still only measure the temperature of the threaded fitting, which won't be the same as the end of the probe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! The PT100 has the third connection, while my PID only has a positive and negative for the thermocouple. Not sure what Id do with the third if I dont have a third terminal.

Sounds like Ill just order a new one off amazon that is a probe style K type. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, are the larger range probes (0-800) traditionally less sensitive than smaller range probes (0-400)?

guys what are those inline digital temp controllers things called? it looks like a T piece which houses the probe inline and has balanced cables usually going to the temp controller? Any help most appreciated.

Thanks! The PT100 has the third connection, while my PID only has a positive and negative for the thermocouple. Not sure what Id do with the third if I dont have a third terminal.

Sounds like Ill just order a new one off amazon that is a probe style K type. Thanks!
Almost any PID controller will take a PT100 sensor, although there may be some very cheap ones that don't.

The larger range thermocouples are J or T type, and yes, they are less accurate in the brewing range. They're only really useful for furnaces, ovens and the like.

Back