CHEAP Potential Brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys think of this for an all electric brewstand.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-solid-oak-workbench-93454.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0611a

If the pictures below don't work it is a solid oak workbench. With the email coupon I recieved today it comes to $139. Now ordinarily I wouldn't trust harbor freight quality for such an integral part of my brew sculpture but the reviews state that it is actually very nice quality with high review status. The great and somewhat strange thing is it would be almost exactly the same dimensions as I was going to build myself and actually for about the same cost using pine framing lumber for my build.

The only problem is it is only rated to hold 250 pounds which may or may not be accurate. I was hoping to improve this weight limit by:
1) cutting the legs down approximately 8 inches which would also lower the stand making it more appropriate for my needs. I would then add casters.

2) Adding some additional supports to the legs and anywhere else it seems deficient.

I have a HF nearby and will be going there anyways so I thought I would check this out. If it dosen't work as a brewstand it would always make for a nice work bench (obviously).

image_6012.jpg

image_6020.jpg

I checked that out at the local HF and I did not find it to be real sturdy myself. Realize that the employees dont always put things together correctly. Have you looked into the 2x4 basics workbench kits? You can make some real nice stuff out of framing lumber $2.50 per 2x4. I was looking into this until I decided to go single vessel BIAB.

I checked that out at the local HF and I did not find it to be real sturdy myself. Realize that the employees dont always put things together correctly. Have you looked into the 2x4 basics workbench kits? You can make some real nice stuff out of framing lumber $2.50 per 2x4. I was looking into this until I decided to go single vessel BIAB.

I just searched for a while and couldn't find much that seemed suitable for what I'm looking for. Do you have any sites that show some good examples for us?

I was planning on building something similar to Kal's brewstand with some modifications. http://theelectricbrewery.com/brew-stand. However, when I ran across this workbench today it just seemed to fit the dimensions I wanted, it's the same price and much easier than building and staining a DIY project. Plus I could see the drawers being handy for storage between brew days. Granted seeing it in person like you did means a lot. I think it's a definite possibility but I'll have to see it in person and also decide if I can modify it to withstand the weight of full keggles.

Thanks for the link. I like that solution for building shelves but not so much for a brewstand. The site isn't that informative so I might be missing something but it dosen't seem to really simplify building a "workbench" or the materials needed by a ton from what I see. Again, maybe I'm missing something. I could see it working well but If I go a route like this I would rather do an all wood construction. Just my opinion.

Has anyone used this product in the past?

Back