Centennial or MtHood?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursus

Reaction score
Hi, I have a hop that I grow in the backyard, got it from a friend that was not sure what variety is, but is either Centennial or Mt Hood. I have some pics now with the cones I picked recently. I was wondering if anybody can figure out based on how they look which one it is? They are definitely small in size compared with the other hops I have (Zeus, Magnum, Cascade and Chinook).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hop1.jpg

Hop2.jpg

Hop3.jpg

Hop4.jpg

Hop5.jpg

Although both varieties are fairly compact, based on looks alone, my guess is Mt. Hood. A few more pseudo-scientific methods for home testing would be:

#1 - Buy 0.25 oz of both Mt Hood and Centennial pellets. Crush the cones by rubbing them between your hands and compare the aromatics of the cones and pellets. I always get "lemon/poppyseed/herbal/grassy" from Mt. Hood and basic citrus/pine notes from Centennial

#2 - Make up three 16 oz starters with DME at a gravity of 1.030 - 1.040. Boil the pellets and 0.3oz or so of the dried cones in their own containers at least 20 minutes. Once the starters are cool, taste and see if you can perceive the bitterness/flavor/aroma of the "cone wort" to match one of the pellet worts.

Or just make a SMASH beer to really get to know the hops and enjoy them for what they are... whatever they are

I also think Mt Hood. I grow both Mt Hood and Centennial and your cones look identical to my Mt Hood.

Latest posts

Back