Cascade DArk Ale/Imperial Inda Black Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkubuzz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think?

Ingredients

13 lbs 3,6 oz Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3,0 SRM) Grain 1 85,7 %
1 lbs 1,6 oz Malta Tostada Nacional (456,9 SRM) Grain 2 7,1 %
1 lbs 1,6 oz Tostada Coffee 600 (304,6 SRM) Grain 3 7,1 %
2,12 oz Hallertau Magnum [14,00 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 4 78,2 IBUs
1,06 oz Hallertau Magnum [14,00 %] - Boil 20,0 min Hop 5 23,7 IBUs
2,12 oz Cascade [6,50 %] - Boil 3,0 min Hop 6 4,5 IBUs
2,12 oz Chinook [13,00 %] - Boil 1,0 min Hop 7 3,1 IBUs
2,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50,28 ml] Yeast 8 -
2,12 oz Nelson Sauvin [12,00 %] - Dry Hop 15,0 Days Hop 9 0,0 IBUs
2,12 oz Summit [17,00 %] - Dry Hop 15,0 Days Hop 10 0,0 IBUs

The "weird amounts are because I made the recepie in Kilograms and grams

Should be a good beer as long as your process is tight. Hops are all along a similar vein. Yeast looks good. I am not familiar with the grain brand so can't comment on that! Is anything worrying you?

Yes, Im not sure about the Vienna Malt, Im not sure if it will be to malty and "out fo style"

Malta Tostada Nacioanl is Toasted Malt that gives roasty notes and Tostada Coffee is the same but lighter toast that gives coffee notes.

inkubuzz said:
Yes, Im not sure about the Vienna Malt, Im not sure if it will be to malty and "out fo style"

Malta Tostada Nacioanl is Toasted Malt that gives roasty notes and Tostada Coffee is the same but lighter toast that gives coffee notes.

Got it! If you are brewing for a competition, then look up the style guidelines. Otherwise just tone it to your preference. Have you tried looking at other recipes? I often do that as a starting point, then read some books and build my recipe. I don't like copying others directly and often add characteristic malts that I would enjoy more. I also care less about style guidelines...

If you are afraid of the maltiness, perhaps do a fraction Vienna and the remainder something like 2-row. Make a note of it for later comparison. I ought to ask if having that much roasted and coffee malt is really what you want. Couldn't those be imperial stout levels?

Latest posts

Back