Caribou Slobber concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to add my experience to the list... this is the most active thread I've found on the topic since I've been researching...

I too had my first brew of Caribou Slobber from the NB deluxe kit. IT came with the Danstar Windsor Dry Yeast. I wish I would have known... I just tasted my 4 day old hydro sample and its a little sweet for me (hopefully the bitterness mellows like most have said). OG 1.052 and FG 1.020 (calling it final since ferm has stopped). I used a brew belt and temp controller to keep it at 68*F.

I tried rousing some yeast yesterday and raising temp to 70, but no go.

Not sure if its worth it to pitch a liquid starter in of a higher attenuating yeast to maybe drop it a few more points.

Brewed the all grain version O.G. 1.054 used Wyeast Northwoods as the suggested liquid F.G 1.012....Three weeks primary, two week secondary...My issue with the recipe overall is I think the standard 5 oz priming pack is to much I am on my last case and all of the bottles have been gysers...

When you say 5 oz priming pack, im assuming you mean the corn sugar that comes with the package.

I got two different kits in the last week from NB and I weighed the sugar packages, both labeled 5oz. One came in at 4.3oz the other at 5.2oz.

I think you should ignore the recipe and weigh how much sugar you need for priming, per the carbonation you want.

dumping the whole bag is a bad idea I think, especially that I have almost a 1 oz variation by weight, which is about 20% difference!

Thanks for the information on the weight differences I have never weighed the priming sugar before and it's good to know

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back