Caribou Slobber AG BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunch1224

Reaction score
Ran off a batch of Caribou Slobber from Northernbrewer biab style. Hit all my numbers spot on and my abv is slightly higher then expected but still expected. The weight on the packaging was off to the actual weight by 4 ounces.

Which makes me wonder. Was the 4oz difference due to slightly being over on each grain type or was it due to being over on just one grain type. Like the specialty grains.

O.G: 1.052 READY: 6 WEEKS
Suggested fermentation schedule:
- 1–2 weeks primary; 1–2 weeks secondary;
2 weeks bottle conditioning

MASH INGREDIENTS
- 9 lbs. Rahr 2-row pale
- .75 lbs. Briess Caramel 60L
- .5 lbs. Briess Caramel 80L
- .25 lbs. Fawcett Pale Chocolate
- .125 lbs. English Black Malt

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
1 oz. Goldings (60 min)
1 oz. Liberty (30 min)
1 oz. Willamette (15 min)
1/2 Whirlflock tablet (5 min)
10 drops fermcap-s (which is awesome)

Units U.S.
-Grain Bill 10.625 Pounds
-Grain Temp 72 Fahrenheit
-Batch Size 5.5 Gallons
-Mash Temp 153 Fahrenheit
-Boil Time 60 Minutes
-Kettle Size 10 Gallons
-Trub .25 Gallons
-BoilOff Rate 1.5 Gallons/Hour
-Grain Absorption 0.045 Gallons/Pounds of grain

1. Total Water Needed 7.73 Gallons
2. Strike Water Temp 159 Fahrenheit
3. Total Mash Volume 8.58 Gallons
4. PreBoil Wort 7.25 Gallons
5. PostBoil Wort 5.75 Gallons
6. Into Fermenter 5.50 Gallons

PH 5.47 post boil
OG 1.056
FG ?

I know I will never know, but it still makes you wonder.

The brew went without a hitch and using this AG kit in a BIAB full volume no sparge worked out perfectly.

I was going to add a lb of DME to up the abv by .8% but decided not to beings as this was the first time I brewed this kit.

I used the wyeast 1332 smack pack and did a single step starter. Worked out well easy peasy. I added a pinch of Fermaid k to the 1L starter as well.

If your OG was higher than expected and your water volumes are correct one can assume that the extra weight was from a grain that can add a significant amount of sugars for its weight. To me that suggests that all the extra weight of grain was base malt or in this case the 2-row pale.

Of course as with any all grain a slight change in efficiency could make all the difference in OG and any of the other malts or combination of them could account for the extra weight. :D

Back