Can you recommend a nice simple recipe with what i have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking to see can i make an APA with my left overs, here is what i have,

2kg of Light Dried malt extract
1.5kg of light liquid malt extract,
1kg Muscavado Sugar
1kg of honey

100g Galena Hops,
100g Magnum Hops
100g of Citra Hops,

Safale 05 Yeast

I will be doing a 1 hour boil for bittering and would like a nice citrusy flavour off the Citra hops, not sure which hops to use for bittering,

I obviously wont be using all of the above ingredients but suggestions would be very welcome.

Any help would be great, thanks

Heres what I'd do:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.000 kg Light Dry Extract (16 EBC) Dry Extract 1 57.1 %
1.500 kg Pale Liquid Extract (16 EBC) Extract 2 42.9 %
10 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 12.9 IBUs
20 g Citra [11.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 9.2 IBUs
20 g Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 9.8 IBUs
30 g Citra [11.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -
50 g Citra [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

for a 21L (5.5gal) batch size, should give you an approximate OG of 1.048 and about 32 IBU.
Note that I haven't used galena before but it seems pretty neutral and inoffensive. I regularly use magnum to bitter my APA's however.
You'll need to adjust the numbers based on your AA% and whether you boil with all the extract for 60 mins or do a late extract addition.
The IBU's are deliberately at the lower end of the scale because there are no specialty malts and a relatively low OG - I was going for a balanced easy drinker but with plenty of aroma and flavour from those citra hops.

Good luck!

Thanks bigmunchez, looks like a great recipe.

Im actually going to be brewing this tomorrow so any more suggestions would be more than welcome.

Just completed this brew this evening, think it went pretty well. I decided to go with the following.

2kg of Light LME
1.5kg of Light DME
.5kg of Demarera Sugar.

20 grams of Galena hops for 60 mins,
30 grams of Citra hops for 10 mins,
20 grams of Citra hops at Flameout,

Brewed 23 Litres, came out at 1.055

I will dry hop with the remaining 50 grams of Citra hops once primary has slowed.

Question, since i havent dry hopped before and i dont have a hop sock of any kind can i just toss in the leaf hops into the fermenter and will it drop out so it doesnt end up in the bottle when i go to bottle the beer?

Cheers for the help.

Citra hops are awesome! I have dry hopped by just pouring the hops into my beer in the secondary and then letting them sit for however long you like. When it comes time to bottle I just siphoned out the beer and put the hose into my funnel which has a filter screen. Worked pretty well for me. Happy brewing🍻

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey All,

Just an update since its two weeks since i bottled, I think i have a winner, this beer is just class, i absolutely love it, it came in about 6% ABV however with those Citra hops it tastes like a light fruit punch..

I will absolutely make this again and again,

I attached a little picture of the beer.

Cheers

IMAG0733.jpg

Back