Camellia japonica wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgd2302

Reaction score
I've been preparing to do a variety of flower-based wines, and in considering species growing around my yard, it struck me that my camellia bush is just that... A camellia.
It is a close relative to camellia sininses, which we all know and love as the source of most varieties of tea. Turns out that the currently blooming flower of this closely related cousin is edible, and might just make a good wine.
Anybody have any experience or opinions on this before I take the plunge?

It's on jack Keller's list of suitable flowers, and I've seen it used as an addition to a steeped cordial, so I'm pretty assured of its safety.

Tasting the petals, it has a bit of astringency like light tea can, so I'm thinking i'll model it after a green tea wine.

At any rate, here's to science!

Hi, I'm wondering how the Camellia wine turned out, because I tried making a batch, and got pink lemonade. My brewing experience is limited to a half-dozen gallons of dandelion wine - I tried this basically because my husband looked at the camellias in Mom's yard and said, That would be an easier harvest than the dandelion petals!

Toxicity: The American Camellia Society, the ASPCA and an organization devoted to finding multiple food-uses for underutilized plants (whose website I of course cannot now find) all agreed that it's non-toxic, and some people running a B&B/event site in Brazil make and sell camellia petal jelly. After finding all this, I ate 3 petal over the course of 3 days, and felt fine.

I used a recipe for rose-petal wine published by Richard Bender in Herb Companion magazine, in 2004, and treated the petals just as he advised for rose petals - washed and trimmed of the white "heel." Pound of raisins, 90 mL lemon juice, 1.75 lb sugar, 523 grams camellia petals made into "tea" with 4 quarts water, small packet Red Star champagne yeast, and a teaspoon of "yeast energizer."
It seemed to bubble up and be fermenting nicely; after a week I strained the raisins out, left it for another 3 weeks, then tasted - very syrup-sweet, not alcoholic at all. Treating it like bread dough that wasn't rising, I stirred in another packet of yeast, and left for another month. More bubbling in the airlock - looked successful.
Today I went to decant it, and it still has no alcohol (under 1%, if I'm reading the hydrometer right, and no scent/tang of alcohol) - it tastes like sweet, flowery lemonade.
It has not gone to vinegar, nor molded, at all.
Now, am I just spoiled by the dandelions' quick ferments, so I should leave it another month? Or do camellia petals contain some microbial-inhibiting factor that stops fermentation? Or . . . .?
So I'd really like to know how yours came out. Thanks.

Back