Call to action! :-) Hill Farmstead Water Ion Analysis??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
Like many, I am a huge fan of Hill Farmstead beers, and like many I wonder how much their water profile has to do with their beers' unique flavor and mouthfeel. I was wondering if anyone who has regular access to their beers would be willing to simply do an analysis on a beer of theirs? For instance Ward Labs or if you have a test kit of your own? A simple water test (or in this case "beer test") would give an answer to all the guessing and assumptions... I live on the other side of the earth so I can't do it, but anyone want to take a crack at it?

Thanks!

They mineralize their water.

If you want to read about water for New England IPA, there is an article on that subject in the current May/June 2017 issue of Zymurgy. There are benefits to AHA membership!

Good luck. From what I've heard Shawn keeps the water profiles pretty secretive. I've wanted to know the profile for Excursions and Civil Disobedience for a long time now.

But on the off chance you do get something, let us know.

"Do not be awestruck by other people and try to copy them." - Norman Peale

A search reveals many threads on this very topic. They all suggest pretty much the same things. Knowing the exact water profile probably won't help to a great extent.

I don't know about you, BigGut, but I brew Hill Farmstead quality brews consistently. The only thing hold me back is that knowing their damn water profiles. If I only knew, then I'd have the greatest brewery...

LLX9RLh.jpg

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to add /s to the end of my post.

There is so much more to his beers than the actual water profile. Too many other factors that go into what he does. It's a culmination of all the little details that he pays attention to that make up some of the best beer in the world. Just knowing the water profile is just one small part of it.

There is so much more to his beers than the actual water profile. Too many other factors that go into what he does. It's a culmination of all the little details that he pays attention to that make up some of the best beer in the world. Just knowing the water profile is just one small part of it.

I agree with everything you wrote. And insofar as paying attention to all the small details is what makes great beer, water is a small detail which I'd like to know how Hill Farmstead manages. I think your well written point and the previous poster's lame sardonicism are quite hasty to point out that water is a small part of beer. I am completely aware of that. But it is a part. A part which I decided to write a thread about.

I agree with everything you wrote. And insofar as paying attention to all the small details is what makes great beer, water is a small detail which I'd like to know how Hill Farmstead manages. I think your well written point and the previous poster's lame sardonicism are quite hasty to point out that water is a small part of beer. I am completely aware of that. But it is a part. A part which I decided to write a thread about.

No worries. I'm trying to get you to think outside of the box. I'm sure you're familiar with the huge thread about HF in here. Plenty of info to digest. Since the NEIPA coming into fruition, everyone has tinkered enough with water profiles that it's pretty obvious it's a component, but far from the final puzzle piece.

I'm very familiar with HF, and enjoy it quite often. I'm done chasing the water dragon, and have looked into the rest of my process, and it has done a great deal more than toying with mineral amounts.

Try looking into pH, not just in the mash, but throughout the process. Think about fermenting under a bit of pressure if possible. Freshness of ingredients, especially hops is paramount. Think about how well you're storing your hops. Of course, yeast choice is important, and refer back to fermenting under a bit of pressure. Think soft, round, but bright flavors. Balance is key. Beware of the hop flavor bomb that everyone is after. It's palette fatiguing to me. He's all about balance. Just enough, and the right amount of everything all in the right places.

I'm more interested in his Farmstead Ales now, and his Stouts...amazing. Totally different animal, but love them.

It's all about the mouthfeel, and he's constantly obsessing over it.

No worries. I'm trying to get you to think outside of the box. I'm sure you're familiar with the huge thread about HF in here. Plenty of info to digest. Since the NEIPA coming into fruition, everyone has tinkered enough with water profiles that it's pretty obvious it's a component, but far from the final puzzle piece.

I'm very familiar with HF, and enjoy it quite often. I'm done chasing the water dragon, and have looked into the rest of my process, and it has done a great deal more than toying with mineral amounts.

Try looking into pH, not just in the mash, but throughout the process. Think about fermenting under a bit of pressure if possible. Freshness of ingredients, especially hops is paramount. Think about how well you're storing your hops. Of course, yeast choice is important, and refer back to fermenting under a bit of pressure. Think soft, round, but bright flavors. Balance is key. Beware of the hop flavor bomb that everyone is after. It's palette fatiguing to me. He's all about balance. Just enough, and the right amount of everything all in the right places.

I'm more interested in his Farmstead Ales now, and his Stouts...amazing. Totally different animal, but love them.

Excellent. Thanks a lot. Some good stuff to ponder. Much appreciated. BTW I love the phrase "chasing the water dragon". :)

They mineralize their water.

If you want to read about water for New England IPA, there is an article on that subject in the current May/June 2017 issue of Zymurgy. There are benefits to AHA membership!

Right on. I read that one. There was another thread on this web site earlier with people touting 300ppm sulfate in NEIPA and I was shaking my head a bit. :) In a regular IPA, sure... why not? But the goals are different with regard to bitterness vs. fruitiness with these.

I know the NE IPA is the IT style coming out of Vermont right now, but you are absolutely right about HF's expertise in all styles. If anything I want to know what they do with their stouts, porter, roggenbier. Twilight of the Idols and Holger Danske are two of the best beers I've ever had. I've drank a lot of porters in my day and I have never had one that so perfected mouthfeel and balance of flavors that Twilight has.

Also, my previous post on this thread was complete sarcasm, I make nothing close to what Shawn can do.

I know the NE IPA is the IT style coming out of Vermont right now, but you are absolutely right about HF's expertise in all styles. If anything I want to know what they do with their stouts, porter, roggenbier. Twilight of the Idols and Holger Danske are two of the best beers I've ever had. I've drank a lot of porters in my day and I have never had one that so perfected mouthfeel and balance of flavors that Twilight has.

Also, my previous post on this thread was complete sarcasm, I make nothing close to what Shawn can do.

Haven't had Holger, but have had Twilight. So damn good.

I think I could drink Everett all day. Probably the perfect Porter for me.

Latest posts

Back