BYO Mag Fat Tire clone vs original

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_fash

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has tried the 2013 BYO "re-worked" Fat Tire clone. I know (from their website) that Fat Tire is brewed with Pale, C-80, Munich and Victory, and the BYO has Pale, Munich, Carpils, Crystal 20, Biscuit, and Chocolate. seems a pretty big difference.

There is also a Hop difference.

I'm relativly new all grain brewing, but lots of partial mash under my belt, so still needing good recipes. Love Fat Tire, so would love a good clone.

Thanksfor any input

Dan

I have the version from December 2010. I've never tried it, don't know if you have or not. Here it is just in case you want it:

New Belgium Brewing Fat Tire Clone
(5 gallons/19 L, all grain)
OG = 1.050
FG= 1.013
IBU = 19
SRM = 14
ABV = 4.7%

Ingredients
8 lb 10 oz pale malt
1.0 lb Munich malt
6.0 oz Victory malt
8.0 oz crystal malt (80 L)
0.4 oz Target hops (11% AA) (60 min)
0.5 oz Willamette hops (5% AA) (10 min)
0.5 oz Goldings hops (0 min)
Wyeast 1792, Wyeast 1272, or WLP051

Step by Step
Mash at 154 F. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. Ferment at 68 F.

Makes you wonder what BYO "re-worked?" Doesn't even resemble it. In Google type in "fat tire homebrewtalk" or "fat tire clone" (without quotes) and see what rolls out.

Actually anything homebrew related in Google with the suffix "homebrewtalk" added will get you way better results than searching inside HBT itself. I wish I could fix the search engine here (or pretty much any other forum site for that matter).

Boywonder
No this recipe makes sense. thank you for adding, I'll brew it on Saturday (weather permitting)

Let me know how it goes. I may have to try it if it turns out pretty close. I brewed the NB Abbey ale clone from the same article and found it to be nearly identical to their beer.

Actually anything homebrew related in Google with the suffix "homebrewtalk" added will get you way better results than searching inside HBT itself. I wish I could fix the search engine here (or pretty much any other forum site for that matter).

Or add "site:homebrewtalk.com", to do a site search. Pretty much the same.

I think HBT switched over to Google for the in-site search, though, look up at the search bar. I think the thread duplication is going to go way down now that the search engine doesn't just return every thread with the search term in it, in chronological order (!?!?).

Somehow HBT's SEO is so good a plain google search of your search term tends to bring HBT threads up at the top though. Which is how I found you all, anyway.

Has the verdict come back on this recipe? I would really lie to try it but wanted some opinions first

Back