Burner Options!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMyers

Reaction score
Hi Folks, So i just had a miserable brew day. It seems my burner (from a generic turkey deep fryer) is clogged with soot and wouldn't bring my batch to boil.

I could probably take it apart the burner and clean it but I think it would be best to upgrade so that I can transition to 10 gal batches soon. I guess im wondering about the efficiency and discrepancy of the two burners below (or other options). The bayou has more than 2x more BTU and is cheaper, it seems like a no brainer and blichmann appear to be inflated due to branding. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Blichmann

Bayou

:off:
Worst thing about it, is i hit my mash temps and held them perfectly! The batch (fin du monde clone), simmered for ~2 hours hops utilization will be out to lunch...next to no boil off...added an extra pound of sugar and still only hit 1.045. Pitched anyway but its gonna be an interesting beer.

Thanks
Dan

What are your plans long-term? Any plans to eventually move from LPG to natural gas? If so, I'd go with the Blichmann, as the Bayou Classic is a high-pressure burner, so not NG compatible. Also, with the Blichmann being low-pressure, it will be a lot quieter than any of the high-pressure LPG options and use less propane, which should pay for itself over the long haul. If propane is all you will ever be using, then the BC should be fine, but knowing what I know now I'd personally go with the Blichmann. Also, for LPG only take a look at the Dark Star burner from Northern Brewer.

I have a Bayou Classic SP10 burner that I've had for nearly 3 years and I am pretty happy with. I recently upgraded my kettle to a 15g MegaPot from Northern Brewer and they were giving away a Dark Star burner with a minimum purchase so even though I didn't need it, I went ahead and took the free one. Well, since I had it, I figured why not try it out? Turns out I actually like it better than my SP10. While the BTUs are about the same, the DS regulator is more precise, which makes for better flame control. It's actually pretty decent for a $50 burner.

With all that said, my plan is to get away from LPG, so I'll be upgrading to the Blichmann burner with the NG conversion inside of the next few weeks.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that I even thought about natural gas, I'm still transient and move from apartment to apartment so I'll likely avoid that option for the time being.

I've read the Darkstar will only support 10 g kettles. This to me is a no go. I hope to transition up to 10 gal post boil batches, so a 15 gal kettle with ~13 gallons pre boil.

Do you use your darkstar for 10 gal post boil batches? how does it compare to the bayou. Also my current burner blocked with soot, apparently the darkstar is inefficient in this manner as well?

Thanks!
Dan

I have two bayou classic SQ14 burners. If I could have afforded the KAB6 I probably would have gone for it.

I read a lot of people using the SQ14 with keggles and having success, so I would think the KAB6 would have no problem at all with 10 gallon batches. If I make the switch to ten gallon batches, and the SQ14 doesn't cut it, then I'd have to spring for a bigger burner (of course then I'd have an extra sq14 for camping or actually frying turkeys:ban:)

Maybe you can clean up your old burner with some WD40 and use it as a HLT/MLT burner?

Personally, I hope to move to electric after propane, though I know I'm a long ways away from that.

Do you use your darkstar for 10 gal post boil batches? how does it compare to the bayou. Also my current burner blocked with soot, apparently the darkstar is inefficient in this manner as well?

No, I'm only doing 5g post boil and using a 15g kettle.

Back