Burner conversion to low pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpaulik

Reaction score
I'm hoping I will be able to get some advice. I purchased 3 BG14 burners https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV3DYIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the low pressure orifice/valve https://www.brewershardware.com/Valve-and-LPG-Orifice-for-BURN10.html#product-details-tab-description for my Brutus system I'm attempting to build. I tested the burners with a 0-20 regulator and the original orifice and everything worked fine. I replaced the orifice with the new orifice/valve and the regulator with an 11" WC regulator and now all I get is an orange flame. It seems that no mater what I do with the air shutter and the valve I can't get anything other than an orange flame. Even with the valve opened only half way and the air shutter completely closed I get a 2 foot tall orange flame. If I open the shutter even just a little bit the flame gets bigger.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
From reporters I respect, you'll almost certainly need to have the dampers wide open or very nearly so.
You also need a high-volume regulator - not something for a barbecue grill.
These are typically dual-stage devices.
Finally, you need wide bore tubing. You definitely can't use 1/4" stuff, go for 1/2"...

Cheers!

If I try to open the damper wide open the flame gets 3 to 4 foot tall. I was under the impression that the only thing you need to do to convert a high pressure burner to a low pressure burner is change out the orifice to something with a larger hole and change the regulator. I'm not sure what you mean by wide bore tubing. Are you talking about the hose that goes from the regulator to the burner?

Can't speak to your impressions, but running a BG-14 on 11" WC (~ .4-.5 psi) isn't trivial.

Yes, I mean ALL of the piping between the regulator and the burner orifice.
And, again, don't ignore the basic regulator issue if you're going to run multiple burners.

You're going for blue flame with just a hint of yellow at the tips.
If you're getting 3-4 foot tall flames with the damper open, what happens if you dial down the regulator at that point?

You can find all kinds of examples of folks running BG-14's on 1/2" WC propane for the intention of automation vs Honeywell controllers.
Here's a successful one among the fails...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-84cYVB3UY[/ame]

Cheers!

The video above is exactly what I was expecting. Maybe I won't be able to get those results with the regulator that I am using. Since I'm trying to build this in stages and I do not have the Honeywell gas valves or any of the items to automate the gas yet maybe I will just need to run them on high pressure until I am ready with the gas valves.

I did my test with the regulator off my grill. but it sounds as if the problem maybe the hose on that regulator is to small and not supplying enough gas.

[...]I did my test with the regulator off my grill. but it sounds as if the problem maybe the hose on that regulator is to small and not supplying enough gas.

Well, as I said, that's all wrong for this application.

Inevitably the plumbing in and out of the Honeywell modules will be quite a bit different from anything you might cobble together for testing purposes, so perhaps waiting until you get the entire kit together is the way to go.

But definitely do the high-volume reg and plan on 1/2" tubing or iron end to end. Otherwise you're looking at aggravation...

Cheers!

Almost sounds like your orifice is too large.
As a little experiment, try blowing gently into the air intake on the burners to see if they blue-up.
Although I agree that it sounds like your supply lines are too small.

Chris

Thanks for all the info. I am not going to worry about it until I am able to get my gas plumping complete and test it then. I'm hoping to have this complete in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I got the gas plumping complete (until I get the gas vales anyway) and everything works the way I thought it This Butus build is going to be a learning experience but looking forward to getting it complete and brewing.

Thanks again for the help.

IMG_1955.jpg

Back