BRY 97: Worth a double pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filthyastronaut

Reaction score
Planning a stronger Red/Amber ale to brew within the next week or so. I have 3 packets of BRY 97, because I wanted to try it with some different beer styles. Due to it's tendency for low attenuation, I figured malty beers would be the best application. I know about its tendency for a long lag, but that won't faze me in a well-sanitized, airlocked glass fermenter. I have heard a variety of different descriptions of its finished product, basically anywhere from it being clean at even high temps to being a disgusting estery mess.

So, since I have more than enough packets to spend, I figured I'd chill it down to 65 and double pitch for a medium gravity ale, where it will sit in my 62 degree ambient basement. I would be surprised if it exceeds 70. I figure a higher than normal pitch rate and somewhat warmer fermentation temp will allow it to get going faster, ensure its cleanness, and perhaps allow it to reach a slightly higher attenuation.

For anybody who has used BRY 97, what has worked and what hasn't? Any pointers? Should I even bother with the double pitch? Feel free to critique the recipe too, I was going for something toasty, malty, with some UK hop character.

Title: Giantsbane Red Ale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.49%
IBU (tinseth): 36.79
SRM (morey): 18.91

FERMENTABLES:
10.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (86.6%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - Biscuit (4.1%)
0.5 lb - German - CaraMunich III (4.1%)
0.5 lb - United Kingdom - Coffee Malt (4.1%)
2 oz - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (1%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 30.05
2 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.74
2 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 150 F

YEAST:
Danstar - American West Coast Yeast BRY-97
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 62 - 75 F

Planning a stronger Red/Amber ale to brew within the next week or so. I have 3 packets of BRY 97, because I wanted to try it with some different beer styles. Due to it's tendency for low attenuation, I figured malty beers would be the best application. I know about its tendency for a long lag, but that won't phase me in a well-sanitized, airlocked glass fermenter. I have heard a variety of different descriptions of its finished product, basically anywhere from it being clean at even high temps to being a disgusting estery mess.

So, since I have more than enough packets to spend, I figured I'd chill it down to 65 and double pitch for a medium gravity ale, where it will sit in my 62 degree ambient basement. I would be surprised if it exceeds 70. I figure a higher than normal pitch rate and somewhat warmer fermentation temp will allow it to get going faster, ensure its cleanness, and perhaps allow it to reach a slightly higher attenuation.

For anybody who has used BRY 97, what has worked and what hasn't? Any pointers? Should I even bother with the double pitch? Feel free to critique the recipe too, I was going for something toasty, malty, with some UK hop character.

Title: Giantsbane Red Ale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.49%
IBU (tinseth): 36.79
SRM (morey): 18.91

FERMENTABLES:
10.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (86.6%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - Biscuit (4.1%)
0.5 lb - German - CaraMunich III (4.1%)
0.5 lb - United Kingdom - Coffee Malt (4.1%)
2 oz - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (1%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 30.05
2 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.74
2 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 150 F

YEAST:
Danstar - American West Coast Yeast BRY-97
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 62 - 75 F

I have used BRY97 in the past. Made award winning beers with it. I have not had low attenuation issues when using it, but i mainly used it in IPA's that I mash at 150 so maybe it doesnt like to attenuate at higher mash temps. You can throw two packets in if you like - using mr malty yeast calculator you will probably need around 16 total grams of dry yeast - depending on the manufacture date of your yeast.

I used it on NB's Smash Pale and AIH's Cornerstone IPA clone. With the Cornerstone, it was harvested yeast. That took off quickly. When I pitched rehydrated yeast for the Smash it took a couple days to show signs, but it did its thing in the mid 60's. Both beers finished at 1.011 so poor attenuation was not a problem for me. Both were extract kits. I love the Smash and the Cornerstone is bottle conditioning, but it tasted good on bottling day. I'd use the yeast again, but be prepared for a longer lag time.

I have used BRY97 in the past. Made award winning beers with it. I have not had low attenuation issues when using it, but i mainly used it in IPA's that I mash at 150 so maybe it doesnt like to attenuate at higher mash temps. You can throw two packets in if you like - using mr malty yeast calculator you will probably need around 16 total grams of dry yeast - depending on the manufacture date of your yeast.

How high are we talking with 150 mash temps? I was planning to mash that low to account for the low attenuation. 72-75 percent would be ideal for this recipe, erring towards the lower side of things. I was also thinking I may hydrate one packet and not hydrate the other, theoretically pitching 1.5 times a single packet.

How high are we talking with 150 mash temps? I was planning to mash that low to account for the low attenuation. 72-75 percent would be ideal for this recipe, erring towards the lower side of things. I was also thinking I may hydrate one packet and not hydrate the other, theoretically pitching 1.5 times a single packet.

I dont believe it works that way. Re-hydration doesn't increase your cell count. It simply just wakes the yeast up

I dont believe it works that way. Re-hydration doesn't increase your cell count. It simply just wakes the yeast up

It's not that rehydration increases the cell count, but rather that the lack of rehydration reduces the cell count. The commonly cited reason for rehydrating is that many of the cells, without the time to wake up in some water, cannot regulate what goes in and out of the cell membrane. Stuff from the sugary wort gets in that shouldn't, which kills the cells. It's supposedly as much as 50 percent.

I made an IPA a couple of weeks ago and made a 1.5L starter (I harvested the other 1/2 liter), pitched at around 68 degrees, and I had very active fermentation within 6 hours, kept at 68 degrees. After one day, it was so active it blew off the lid on my bucket! It attenuated pretty quickly too, maybe about a week? I didn't keep track of it too much. It hit my target FG within 14 days though and the sample I pulled was nice and clear.

Back