Bringing hops back from North Dakota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Hi -

My dad lives in north-central Montana, but is from western North Dakota (Dunn County), which is where our family settled and farmed when they emigrated to the USA. Our ancestors brewed beer there, and thee are still hops growing nearby. I am unsure whether they are some sort of wild hop, or whether they were planted generations ago, and are no growing on their own.

Anyway, he is going back to North Dakota over the 4th of July, and we thought it might be good to bring some hops back. I am guessing that now is a bad time of year to try and transplant hops, but am not sure. Failing that, maybe he can bring some fresh hops back, and we can have a look at them, maybe try them in a brew.

Would July be too early to collect some hops? Would bringing back any cuttings/rhizomes even be an option this time of year? Should we plan a trip for fall?

Any suggestions/options/ideas for helping with this would be appreciated. He won't have access to a vacuum sealer until he gets back, but He would be able to freeze them.

Hey, thanks for letting me know. Based on that, I'll probably send a 5-gallon bucket along with him so that he can get us each a few.

Once I'm able to get a look at them, I might have to see if we can identify them. I know that can be a tricky thing, but what the heck - it could be fun, and it would definitely be interesting if these were the same hops that my ancestors brewed with.

Back