Briess White Sorghum Extract - User Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie10

Reaction score
I purchased some Briess White Grain Sorghum 45DE High Maltose extract by mistake, and then couldn’t find much detailed firsthand information with brewing advice or results using it even on the gluten-free forums. I did get several unhelpful responses passing on what they had heard and “nobody would use that” etc. So I thought I would actually try it and then report on my experience with the product.

In the can it looks very similar to a malt LME, but did have a bit of a different taste to it – less roasted flavor.

For a NE American Pale Ale base I brewed a 23 L all extract batch using light malt LME 1.7 kg and the Briess 1.5 kg plus 300 g sucrose, and at same time did a 23 L all malt extract batch using light malt LME 1.7 kg and extralight malt LME 1.7 kg plus 300 g sucrose. IBUs in 30s for both. US-05 yeast. Same brewing methods for both. Briess batch OG = 1.049, all malt LME batch OG = 1.052

Briess batch FG = 1.009, all malt LME batch FG = 1.010.

Fermentation duration, intensity, and behaviour pretty much identical for either batch, at constant 66 F.

Prior to dry hopping, taste of Briess batch was very light, little to no caramel or much sweetness, not surprisingly. But no off tastes or twang or metallic as some have reported. A bit more flavor than if Briess component was instead plain sugars. Colour is straw. I wouldn’t say it is really dry, but it has less body and flavor than I’d expect from an extract batch using a light malt LME plus an extralight malt LME plus sugar. Nothing wrong with it though, other than very light base, but as it is for a NE APA it may work out OK.

For comparison, prior to dry hopping the taste of the all malt LME batch was light, with notes of mild caramel and some sweetness. Colour is light golden. Pretty much as expected, and a suitable base for my NE APA style.

I will report back after batches have been in the bottle for a couple weeks, but so far I suggest that if you are looking for a gluten-reduced beer or if you find the Briess at a cheap price then it is a satisfactory substitution for extralight malt LME in an extract base.

UPDATE

The light LME plus Briess Sorghum has been in bottles a few weeks. Now it has a discernable unusual aftertaste, which is metallic. Also has little initial head, and poor head retention. Dry hop was Citra, which I had read was a good choice with sorghum. It shines thru well initially, but there is that odd finish. The beer is entirely drinkable and enjoyable, just clearly different than all traditional extract. Not going to rush to try it again.

UPDATE

I also had an amber LME and Briess white sorghum 50/50 IPA going. After two weeks in bottles it has good head and retention. No off twang or metallic flavors. It is bland in hop aroma and flavor for what I put in tho.

So, perhaps sorghum works when mixed with amber or darker malts, and possibly you need to bump up the hops a bit.

Latest posts

Back