Brewing with kinako (roasted soybean powder)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
EDIT: Added recipe downthread. Would love to get some opinions/advice on how to best use the yams.

Hi all, long-time reader first-time poster. :ban:

My girlfriend lived in Japan for a long time and is pretty obsessed with Japanese flavors. One of those is kinako. If you're unfamilar, it's a chocolate-y, peanut buttery flour made from roasted soybeans. It's commonly used in Japanese desserts.

I was thinking it'd make a nice addition to a brown ale or porter, and I was thinking about doing a 1gal batch to try it out.

Anyone have any thoughts on how soybean flour might react with malt and brewing yeast? I want to use it primarily for the flavor, but it appears that soy peptides are fermentable, and some breweries in Japan are even using them to produce so-called "third beers"—beers made from non-malt sources.

Just shooting from the hip here...

I'd follow the very nice recommendations for cocoa powder in the front page article on how to brew with chocolate..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/brewing-with-chocolate.html

It sound like it might be roasted to the point that mashing it might be a waste of time. Maybe just treat it like a flavoring adjunct like cocoa.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but then I read that it might be fermentable. I guess that doesn't really matter much, though—would just raise the OG a bit, right?

So here's my stab at a distinctly Japanese nut brown ale: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/tanuki-suit-brown-ale

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity (not accounting for kinako): 1.048
Final Gravity (Target): 1.012
IBU: 25
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 15

4 lbs Pale LME (late addition 15 min)
4 lbs roasted Japanese yams, mashed
2.5 lbs 2-row
1 lbs kinako
10 oz victory malt
4 oz biscuit malt
4 oz chocolate malt
2 oz crystal 120L
1 oz cluster (60 min)
0.5 oz fuggle (10 min)
0.5 oz fuggle (1min)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

1. Mash @ 154F for 60min w/ 4lb roasted Japanese yams.
2. Sparge @ 170F.
3. Boil, adding LME, kinako, and Irish moss w/ 15 minutes to go.

Anyone have experience using roasted yams/sweet potatoes in a mash? Do you need to add something else (rice hulls?) to prevent it from turning to concrete?

It looks OK. Having never brewed with it and trying to explore Its flavors, I'd personally do something maybe a bit simpler. I'd personally ditch all of the specialty malts. Maybe use some simple crystal 10-40 for sweetness. Let the kinako and yams shine through. After tasting that beer, see what other specialty malts to later flavor on top. Just my $0.02 though. Good luck with it.

Are you doing the yams a biab bag?

It looks OK. Having never brewed with it and trying to explore Its flavors, I'd personally do something maybe a bit simpler. I'd personally ditch all of the specialty malts. Maybe use some simple crystal 10-40 for sweetness. Let the kinako and yams shine through. After tasting that beer, see what other specialty malts to later flavor on top. Just my $0.02 though. Good luck with it.

Are you doing the yams a biab bag?

I was planning to do the whole mash in a large paint bag with room for stuff to move around a bit...

Back