Brewing today - need advice! (new brewer here)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JavaJoe Buffalo

Reaction score
Got into brewing a few months ago and am doing only extract at this time. Did 2 kits, but started working on my own recipies with the help of beersmith, and below is my recipe:

8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain (steep 40 min)
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain (steep 40 min)

3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) 60 min boil

1 lbs Maltodextrin (3.0 SRM) (late addition 15 min in boil)
2 lbs Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) (late addition 15 min in boil)
3 lbs 4.8 oz Rye Liquid Extract[Boil for15 min]

1.0 pkg Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) – using 1 liter starter

Hops/ etc:
1.00 oz Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
1.00 oz Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Lemondrop [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Lemondrop [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop
3.00 lb Rhubarb Syrup (Secondary 7.0 days) *3 lbs frozen rhubarb boiled with just water down to a thick syrup- no sugar or anything else added)

I am working on capturing the flavor of my mom's rhubarb pie in an IPA -
I am adding the brown sugar for the caramely taste in case you are wondering why that is in there. my main question is in regard to maltodextrin and the mouthfeel it will add.

the last 2 beers I made from kits turned out ok, but the mouth feel was too light, almost like the difference between a regular soda and a diet soda in the way it felt in my mouth. I wanted to add body and that is why im adding 12 oz of munich while steeping (originally planned on 4 oz). i thought i would add a lb of maltodextrin to boost mouthfeel after reading that it can help. I know i am going very heavy on it, but want to see how much of a difference it adds to a beer. I am trying to brew at least once a month so that I can learn as much as I can, so i know a lot of these early recipes are going to be a lot of trial and error.

Thoughts on the recipe and how the maltodextrin will help / hurt it? also is adding it at the last 15 min of boil a good place to add it? i want to make sure it totally dissolves.

Also beersmith says OG will be 1.077 and FG estimated at 1.010

Last edited:
Got into brewing a few months ago and am doing only extract at this time. Did 2 kits, but started working on my own recipies with the help of beersmith, and below is my recipe:

8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain (steep 40 min)
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain (steep 40 min)

3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) 60 min boil

1 lbs Maltodextrin (3.0 SRM) (late addition 15 min in boil)
2 lbs Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) (late addition 15 min in boil)
3 lbs 4.8 oz Rye Liquid Extract[Boil for15 min]

1.0 pkg Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) – using 1 liter starter

Hops/ etc:
1.00 oz Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
1.00 oz Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Lemondrop [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Lemondrop [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop
3.00 lb Rhubarb Syrup (Secondary 7.0 days) *3 lbs frozen rhubarb boiled with just water down to a thick syrup- no sugar or anything else added)

I am working on capturing the flavor of my mom's rhubarb pie in an IPA -
I am adding the brown sugar for the caramely taste in case you are wondering why that is in there. my main question is in regard to maltodextrin and the mouthfeel it will add.

the last 2 beers I made from kits turned out ok, but the mouth feel was too light, almost like the difference between a regular soda and a diet soda in the way it felt in my mouth. I wanted to add body and that is why im adding 12 oz of munich while steeping (originally planned on 4 oz). i thought i would add a lb of maltodextrin to boost mouthfeel after reading that it can help. I know i am going very heavy on it, but want to see how much of a difference it adds to a beer. I am trying to brew at least once a month so that I can learn as much as I can, so i know a lot of these early recipes are going to be a lot of trial and error.

Thoughts on the recipe and how the maltodextrin will help / hurt it? also is adding it at the last 15 min of boil a good place to add it? i want to make sure it totally dissolves.

Also beersmith says OG will be 1.077 and FG estimated at 1.010

I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain or more of salt but here's things I might change and why.

Carapils is a dextrine malt and it adds body and improves heading. I'm not sure you also want to add maltodextrine. Other carmel malts will also improve heading.
Munich malt is a base malt and needs mashing. Not a big deal, just make sure the water you add it to will be within the range of 148 and 158F so the enzymes will be active and convert its starches to sugars.
Your brown sugar will completely ferment out, lowering the FG and making the beer seem thinner and because it contains molasses it may give you a funny, metallic flavor. A better solution to getting a caramel flavor without the drying effect of the sugar is to choose one of the caramel malts. Caramel 20 might be what you want but do read the descriptions on what each caramel brings.
Often my beers were thin too, lacking in mouthfeel. Then I learned that I wasn't giving them enough time in the bottle for them to mature. Now I leave a robust porter in the bottle for at least 3 months and it magically gets the fullness I expect.
The rhubarb may lose its flavor and just become a sour, acidic taste. I have no experience with rhubarb but my blueberry ale did that. I might want to start with a smaller batch in case it turns out undrinkable.

Latest posts

Back