Brewing a brown wheat saison tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
its really more of a dirty blond then a brown.
This is a 6 gallon recipe. 3 gallons I will keep clean and pitch 3711
the other 3 i will sour from day 1.(roslaire + dregs) trube from a brown sour that i am going to bottle.
90 min mash 155F-152F
Boil Time: 60 min Batch Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.067 (recipe based estimate) W/brew house efficiency@ 75%

Original Gravity: 1.061 Final Gravity: 1.014 ABV (standard): 6.23% IBU (tinseth): 43.55 SRM
Fermentables

7.5 lb extra pale marris otter 59.3%
2 lb CaraRed 15.8%
1.5 lb Dry Malt Extract - Wheat 11.9%
14.5 oz CaraCrystal Wheat Malt 7.2%
6 oz Acidulated Malt 3%
6 oz CaraFoam 3%
12.66 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
26 g Centennial Pellet 10 Boil 40 min 21.87
0.75 oz Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.5 Boil 40 min 9.84
0.5 oz Domestic Hallertau Pellet 3.9 Boil 20 min 3.21
0.75 oz Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.5 Boil 20 min 6.79
0.5 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh Pellet 3.75 Boil 10 min 1.85

So this recipe is designed to be a brown sour but the long run goal is to brew a barrel of it and keep it as a saison. Then be able to pull off 3-5 gallon batches to sour in small spirt/wine barrels.

would anyone make adjustments to make it a better saison?

Guess it seems perfect to everyone. cheers.

Seems really heavy on the crystal malt, especially for a Saison. I'd consider malts like Amber or Brown that are just lightly roasted and will add pleasant malt characteristics with a drier finish.

For sure it is heavy on crystal malts(25%) of the grain bill. I probably should have omitted some and that percentage will be the first thing lowered if i do not like this brew. the reason its so so high is because i have found that the large amount of unfermentable sugars in a higher abv sour seem to resemble a wine sweetness. that cara crystal wheat has a lovibond of 55 i can get Weyermann® CaraWheat and it will have a lovi bond of 35-55 that would help me get the srm a bit lighter.

anyway i just just tasted my wort after taking a gravity reading (1.062) and its so good i can drink it already thats a good sign.

i didnt end up racking and the only sour bug i have on deck is pedio so 3 gallons will get a pediococus primary fermentation with a splash of 3711 until the latest sour blends i bought are delivered.

Latest posts

Back