Brewers Association Revises "Craft Brewer" Definition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge "meh" from me. The sort of topic that I imagine will rustle a few jimmies on the other channels though.
Same. I don't really see why anyone outside of the industry cares what the BA does. In fact, I don't even really care that they exist, aside from the fact that some organization needs to be able to lobby on behalf of small brewers.

I care to the extent that the Brewers Association is trying to create an "us versus them" mentality among consumers. I think that sentiment is not necessarily shared by most brewers, and ultimately I think that would be bad for everyone, including consumers.

The BA lobbies to keep taxes low for craft brewers and reduce state restrictions on beer. Some of their work has an impact on drinkers, not just industry folks. Excise tax, growler law and self distribution law are just three areas where they are working to improve existing outdated laws, all of which have an impact on consumers.

Sure, there's a lot of ******** they invent and propagate. But to say that consumers shouldn't care is pretty silly. Unless you'd rather not have someone working to fix the ****ed up laws in this country...

Last edited:
The BA lobbies to keep taxes low for craft brewers and reduce state restrictions on beer. Some of their work has an impact on drinkers, not just industry folks. Excise tax, growler law and self distribution law are just three areas where they are working to improve existing outdated laws, all of which have an impact on consumers.

Sure, there's a lot of ******** they invent and propagate. But to say that consumers shouldn't care is pretty silly. Unless you'd rather not have someone working to fix the ****ed up laws in this country...
Same. I don't really see why anyone outside of the industry cares what the BA does. In fact, I don't even really care that they exist, aside from the fact that some organization needs to be able to lobby on behalf of small brewers.

You realize they don't simply lobby on behalf of small brewers, right? They also lobby on behalf of the consumer for things like better growler laws and self-distribution.

So their lobbying helps to keep prices down, to get beer in the market easier and reduce growler restrictions. Claiming those things don't affect consumers is nonsense.

I sound like a broken record here. It seems that people who don't like or care about the BA can't see past their classification issues.

So does craft brewer really just mean "small brewer" again? Similar to the days when we had micro brewers.

You realize they don't simply lobby on behalf of small brewers, right? They also lobby on behalf of the consumer for things like better growler laws and self-distribution.

So their lobbying helps to keep prices down, to get beer in the market easier and reduce growler restrictions. Claiming those things don't affect consumers is nonsense.

I sound like a broken record here. It seems that people who don't like or care about the BA can't see past their classification issues.
Everything you listed is helping brewers, but also helping consumers. I haven't heard of any them doing any lobbying that helps consumers but that brewers don't really way, like, oh I dunno, liberalizing CA growler laws.

And I'm not arguing that the lobbying isn't important. I'm just saying it's the only important thing they do. I think you're fighting a straw man here.

Everything you listed is helping brewers, but also helping consumers. I haven't heard of any them doing any lobbying that helps consumers but that brewers don't really way, like, oh I dunno, liberalizing CA growler laws.

And I'm not arguing that the lobbying isn't important. I'm just saying it's the only important thing they do. I think you're fighting a straw man here.

You can think what you want to think about the BA. But your view on this issue seems to be a little flawed. How do you know they aren't lobbying to change the CA growler law? They clearly tried to make the issue as transparent as possible and easy for breweries to adhere to the existing law - there's plenty of information specific to this on their site as well as the CCBA site. Furthermore, liberalizing the growler law would be beneficial to breweries, so your statement above doesn't really make sense. They are trying to educate both brewers and consumers on the issue, which helps everyone.

There are a lot of beer drinkers out there (and in this thread) that don't seem to care about the BA. And I'm willing to bet it's because they don't understand the BA and their sub-groups, like the Homebrewer's Association (which isn't targeted toward industry brewers) and state-specific associations. As I stated before - they do a lot more than try to define what it means to be a craft brewer.

Statements like "I don't see why anyone outside of the industry cares what BA does" is really weird to me. It implies that they don't have a direct, significant impact on the consumer side of the industry, when it's very clear they do. If you want to learn more, the BA website has a ton of information. If you still don't think that what they do is important to all beer drinkers (not just industry folk), then good luck in life.

Last edited:
Would it be fair to ask, though, why anyone outside the industry cares about BA's definition of craft brewer is considering it seems to have no impact on anything other than who they recognize? I guess the only answer could be it eliminates or includes breweries that they will then work towards helping, but even then it doesn't seem to matter given that laws need to be codified properly according to barrelage or something.

edit: Also please don't drag another thread down arguing about growler laws.

You can think what you want to think about the BA. But your view on this issue seems to be a little flawed. How do you know they aren't lobbying to change the CA growler law? They clearly tried to make the issue as transparent as possible and easy for breweries to adhere to the existing law - there's plenty of information specific to this on their site as well as the CCBA site. Furthermore, liberalizing the growler law would be beneficial to breweries, so your statement above doesn't really make sense. They are trying to educate both brewers and consumers on the issue, which helps everyone.

There are a lot of beer drinkers out there (and in this thread) that don't seem to care about the BA. And I'm willing to bet it's because they don't understand the BA and their sub-groups, like the Homebrewer's Association (which isn't targeted toward industry brewers) and state-specific associations. As I stated before - they do a lot more than try to define what it means to be a craft brewer.

Statements like "I don't see why anyone outside of the industry cares what BA does" is really weird to me. It implies that they don't have a direct, significant impact on the consumer side of the industry, when it's very clear they do. If you want to learn more, the BA website has a ton of information. If you still don't think that what they do is important to all beer drinkers (not just industry folk), then good luck in life.
Liberalizing growler laws so places besides breweries can fill growlers is not in breweries' interests.

You also just keep repeating yourself. Yeah, the BA's lobbying is important. Nothing else they do is. That's my position. Continuing to say "but their lobbying is important!" isn't rebutting my stance. I think you should take a minute or two and actually try to understand what I'm saying here, because you are repeatedly talking about things that I'm not saying.

The point of contention here seems to be not with the Brewers Association itself, but rather what issues they work on seem to get highlighted in the "beer media". I'm sure they do a lot of important work behind the scenes, but the only time their name seems to come up is in topics like this. Now that might not even be their fault, as I don't know if these stories come up because the Brewers Association chooses to highlight, or the websites like Beerpulse and so on choose to. But either way, the casual observer would get the impression that trivial stuff like the definition of craft beer is what they focus on, rather than the important matters.

Liberalizing growler laws so places besides breweries can fill growlers is not in breweries' interests.

I don't know where you get your ideas from, but you're wrong. Go talk to a brewery in Oregon and see what they think. I've spoken to guys from Deschutes, Boneyard, Crux and Good Life and they confirmed that more growlers = more beer sold, and more beer sold = good.

You also just keep repeating yourself. Yeah, the BA's lobbying is important. Nothing else they do is. That's my position.

Education. Standardization of business practices. Public and industry exposure. Beer festivals like GABF. You crack me up man, either you really don't know what they do, or you don't seem to give a **** about craft beer. It's hard for me to figure out where you're coming from because you constantly come off as stubborn and contentious. Perhaps that's not your intention, but it's not helping around here.

****, maybe it's me. In which case I apologize. Just trying to have a good discussion and spread the word that that the BA is more than what you read in publications. They're actually a pretty great (nonprofit) organization.

Would it be fair to ask, though, why anyone outside the industry cares about BA's definition of craft brewer is considering it seems to have no impact on anything other than who they recognize? I guess the only answer could be it eliminates or includes breweries that they will then work towards helping, but even then it doesn't seem to matter given that laws need to be codified properly according to barrelage or something.

edit: Also please don't drag another thread down arguing about growler laws.

Their definition doesn't have legal ramifications other than which brewers they support, but it does set a standard that becomes the target of lobbying. Which then helps consumers.

Everything is connected in this industry.

The point of contention here seems to be not with the Brewers Association itself, but rather what issues they work on seem to get highlighted in the "beer media". I'm sure they do a lot of important work behind the scenes, but the only time their name seems to come up is in topics like this. Now that might not even be their fault, as I don't know if these stories come up because the Brewers Association chooses to highlight, or the websites like Beerpulse and so on choose to. But either way, the casual observer would get the impression that trivial stuff like the definition of craft beer is what they focus on, rather than the important matters.

Truth. Good thing their website is user friendly and reads at an 8th grade level, otherwise some people here wouldn't be able to educate themselves on this issue. :D

Last edited:
I don't know where you get your ideas from, but you're wrong. Go talk to a brewery in Oregon and see what they think. I've spoken to guys from Deschutes, Boneyard, Crux and Good Life and they confirmed that more growlers = more beer sold, and more beer sold = good.
Oh yeah, I'm sure that's why RR, Stone, the Bruery, Alpine, and every other CA brewery that's taken a position on this is against liberalization in any form. Either way, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about things like off-premises growler fills, which I think should decrease brewery profits by moving fills from the super-profitable on-site ones to normal distribution channels, which is clearly less profit. The only way that this could be a positive is if there's a multiplier effect on growler sales, which I find dubious, but hey maybe there is. Either way there's 0 momentum for this as far as I can tell, even when we had someone introducing a bill at the CA legislature it didn't have this in it. It would benefit consumers, wouldn't benefit breweries, there's no movement. So why, exactly, should I think that the BA lobbies on behalf of consumers? They lobby on behalf of breweries, and sometimes that benefits consumers.

As an aside, I'm not actually convinced that excise tax reduction is a good thing for consumers on net (alcohol consumption is clearly bad in general for a lot of reasons, and creating a disincentive to consume it is something the government should be doing, though I'm not sure how applicable that is to craft beer as opposed to, say, cheap vodka, which is why I say I'm not convinced, I'm most of the way to being convinced, but not all the way), but it's clearly good for breweries. And that seems to be the only thing they talk about doing.
Education. Standardization of business practices. Public and industry exposure. Beer festivals like GABF. You crack me up man, either you really don't know what they do, or you don't seem to give a **** about craft beer. It's hard for me to figure out where you're coming from because you constantly come off as stubborn and contentious. Perhaps that's not your intention, but it's not helping around here.
Yeah I don't think that **** is important. Maybe it was back in 1990 but it's not now. In fact, things like GABF might actually be BAD in some ways. Either way, if we lost it now it would be no biggie.
****, maybe it's me. In which case I apologize. Just trying to have a good discussion and spread the word that that the BA is more than what you read in publications. They're actually a pretty great (nonprofit) organization.
Everything you've posted in here has been condescending. I'm just giving as good as you are. Although I've called you fewer names, so I guess there's that. I mean, like this:
Truth. Good thing their website is user friendly and reads at an 8th grade level, otherwise some people here wouldn't be able to educate themselves on this issue. :D
I actually looked at their website, and couldn't find anything about their lobbying outside of federal excise tax reduction. As far as I can tell that's basically all they're actually trying to do, though if there's other stuff they're very bad publicizing it. But yeah, just assume that we're all idiots who don't know what we're talking about, instead of intelligent people who disagree with you. I mean, seriously, read back through our interactions here and then come back and say that I'm the one who starting being a *********. If you really think that, well, then, as you said before I did anything other than disagree politely with you, "good luck in life".

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's why RR, Stone, the Bruery, Alpine, and every other CA brewery that's taken a position on this is against liberalization in any form. Either way, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about things like off-premises growler fills, which I think should decrease brewery profits by moving fills from the super-profitable on-site ones to normal distribution channels, which is clearly less profit. The only way that this could be a positive is if there's a multiplier effect on growler sales, which I find dubious, but hey maybe there is.

How do you know breweries in CA are against off-site growler fills? That's not a topic that is discussed regularly, and would require a fundamental change in the law. As far as I know, the ones listed are just opposed to using blank or de-branded growlers for their beer. And while I don't agree with them, they have their branding and quality reasons. Every single excuse I have ever heard or read from a brewery in California as to why they don't fill unbranded growlers has been asinine. In fact, using your logic, the breweries should adopt off-premise growler fills because it would move more beer at the brewery itself, thereby being more profitable.

With off-premise growler fills in Oregon (say, at a gas station), a brewery moves more beer. While the profitability of that particular beer may be less, it's more than compensated in volume sales. It's a pretty simple idea that is reflected by the fact that breweries distribute their beer in both kegs and bottles. If your statement was true, no brewery would distribute and everyone would make a lot more money through in-house sales of draft beer only.

As I've stated in other threads, I'm pretty good friends with a lot of guys in the industry in Bend. I'll take their word for it that having The Growler Guys fill containers at the local Shell station has been good for their sales.

Either way there's 0 momentum for this as far as I can tell, even when we had someone introducing a bill at the CA legislature it didn't have this in it. It would benefit consumers, wouldn't benefit breweries, there's no movement. So why, exactly, should I think that the BA lobbies on behalf of consumers? They lobby on behalf of breweries, and sometimes that benefits consumers.

I'd argue that just about anything that benefits small brewers also benefits consumers. The conversation is more complicated than that - have you ever lobbied for anything at the state level? I have (via UCSA). I'm sure there are a lot of people who want the law to be changed, but it takes a long time and a lot of money to do so, especially if there is resistance from big breweries that do have a strong presence in the state.

As an aside, I'm not actually convinced that excise tax reduction is a good thing for consumers on net (alcohol consumption is clearly bad in general for a lot of reasons, and creating a disincentive to consume it is something the government should be doing, though I'm not sure how applicable that is to craft beer as opposed to, say, cheap vodka, which is why I say I'm not convinced, I'm most of the way to being convinced, but not all the way), but it's clearly good for breweries. And that seems to be the only thing they talk about doing.

Hey, now we're up my alley! I hate to rain on your parade but moderate consumption of alcohol has been shown to have long-term health benefits. I could link to a bunch of journal articles, but this page has a good summary with references.

Yeah I don't think that **** is important. Maybe it was back in 1990 but it's not now. In fact, things like GABF might actually be BAD in some ways. Either way, if we lost it now it would be no biggie.

Ok, we definitely disagree on this one.

Everything you've posted in here has been condescending. I'm just giving as good as you are. Although I've called you fewer names, so I guess there's that. I mean, like this:

Lighten up, man. The smiley was supposed to be in jest. And I think your filter is broken, because one of us is constantly expressing an angry, cynical, condescending attitude on here (and it's not me!)

I actually looked at their website, and couldn't find anything about their lobbying outside of federal excise tax reduction. As far as I can tell that's basically all they're actually trying to do, though if there's other stuff they're very bad publicizing it.

I understand that it's hard to learn about something you don't care about. That's probably the issue here.

This has been interesting. Hopefully other people found it at least somewhat entertaining and informative!

How do you know breweries in CA are against off-site growler fills?
I don't. I'm just saying that it's an issue where they could be lobbying on behalf of consumers with ambiguous results for breweries, and I don't see anyone pursuing it. It was just an example. If there's some other issue you can find where someone (BA, anyone else) is lobbying on issues that benefit consumers without also clearly benefiting brewers then I'd like to know about it because it would prove my cynicism wrong. But when I looked at the BA's website I didn't see anything.

I think you may have lost track of the thread here, but my contention was that the BA is a brewery lobby, not a consumer lobby, and it just happens that both of those overlap a lot (but not completely!). I'm honestly not sure if you disagree with that.
In fact, using your logic, the breweries should adopt off-premise growler fills because it would move more beer at the brewery itself, thereby being more profitable.
I have no idea how you come to the conclusion. It seems like you're assuming that off-premise fills will build more brand recognition (or something) and thus attract more people to the brewery itself. Which is possible but I find that unlikely, and either way it's impossible to say.
With off-premise growler fills in Oregon (say, at a gas station), a brewery moves more beer. While the profitability of that particular beer may be less, it's more than compensated in volume sales. It's a pretty simple idea that is reflected by the fact that breweries distribute their beer in both kegs and bottles. If your statement was true, no brewery would distribute and everyone would make a lot more money through in-house sales of draft beer only.
Yeah, I think some breweries would benefit from that, the ones that want to expand (or have excess capacity now). But for someone like RR it's a clear net loss since their capacity is finite and not growing. And I think that breweries are also sometimes not very good at understanding what benefits them and what doesn't (this is a general phenomenon) and it's really easy to portray this as being a loss for breweries. I can tell you that it was discussed at the most recent CA brewers meeting, but the short writeup didn't say anything about what was actually said.
As I've stated in other threads, I'm pretty good friends with a lot of guys in the industry in Bend. I'll take their word for it that having The Growler Guys fill containers at the local Shell station has been good for their sales.
Sure, but those guys would also tell you that filling unbranded growlers is good for sales, right?
Hey, now we're up my alley! I hate to rain on your parade but moderate consumption of alcohol has been shown to have long-term health benefits. I could link to a bunch of journal articles, but this page has a good summary with references.
I know that. The question is whether higher excise taxes would inhibit binge drinking, which is absolutely a health hazard, and specifically whether the gains from bringing that down would be larger than the increased cost to consumers (so basically whether the increase in taxes has net utility). AFAIK there haven't been studies about how these play out with craft beer, but there was just a big one about vodka prices in Russia that was pretty alarming (though obviously that's a way different drinking culture). Anyway, like I said I'm just not convinced it's a positive, though in general I'm for lowering the taxes on craft brewers as I sort of doubt the negatives associated with drinking too much are a big deal with craft, and the price of craft is generally elevated anyway, but it's just a case that hasn't been made in an airtight manner, at least that I've ever seen.
Lighten up, man. The smiley was supposed to be in jest. And I think your filter is broken, because one of us is constantly expressing an angry, cynical, condescending attitude on here (and it's not me!)
I think the main difference between you and me is that when I'm coming across as an *******, I usually man up and admit it. I'm also not taking this particularly seriously, I think you may be projecting.
Without the BA we would not have craft beer as we know it. Why bite the hand that feeds?
Right, the work they did over the past 30 years (or whatever) has been very valuable. But I think the movement is at a point (at least in many/most places) where a lot of what they do isn't very valuable any more. I don't harbor any ill will toward them or anything, I just don't think they matter very much (outside of lobbying the government).

I don't. I'm just saying that it's an issue where they could be lobbying on behalf of consumers with ambiguous results for breweries, and I don't see anyone pursuing it. It was just an example. If there's some other issue you can find where someone (BA, anyone else) is lobbying on issues that benefit consumers without also clearly benefiting brewers then I'd like to know about it because it would prove my cynicism wrong. But when I looked at the BA's website I didn't see anything.

Making homebrew legal in many states. People can make their own, so be default they will be buying less.

Right, the work they did over the past 30 years (or whatever) has been very valuable. But I think the movement is at a point (at least in many/most places) where a lot of what they do isn't very valuable any more. I don't harbor any ill will toward them or anything, I just don't think they matter very much (outside of lobbying the government).

While I agree with you in that the push for growler changes in CA may not be as beneficial as some hope I definitely disagree with you about the value of what the BA does. Forget about CA for a moment and look into what they did to help MS and AL overturn their archaic anti-homebrew laws. They were also integral in helping change the distribution laws in AL. In reality, I think there are more places that benefit from the BA than not. Sure CA, IL, and MA may be shored up already, but the majority of the country has a long way to go to catch up. The BA helps organize clubs and sets up the brewers guilds around the country. These guilds facilitate a means of connecting between breweries for equipment acquisition, trade in ideas, troubleshooting, etc... Brewers are not required to be in these guilds but most breweries are members of one organization or another- if there were no benefit for them I doubt they would participate. The BA also provides lots of resources for someone opening a brewery (people like me). I think you just may not be exposed to a lot of what they do and that is what is shaping your opinion. Just my 2¥. Carry on...

Making homebrew legal in many states. People can make their own, so be default they will be buying less.
I really don't think it works that way. That one seems like a classic case of growing the pie (at least if you exclude bud from the pie). People homebrew -> get interested in better beer -> buy more craft. The craft beer movement wouldn't have been possible without homebrewers, and many/most/all brewers were/are homebrewers. That's a pretty exact alignment of interests IMO.

I really don't think it works that way. That one seems like a classic case of growing the pie (at least if you exclude bud from the pie). People homebrew -> get interested in better beer -> buy more craft. The craft beer movement wouldn't have been possible without homebrewers, and many/most/all brewers were/are homebrewers. That's a pretty exact alignment of interests IMO.

I think you are just arguing to argue, or just want to be right. Of course if people benefit in craft beer you can find an indirect benefit to the breweries. Should the BA be promoting feeding the hungry, welfare, gun rights?

Also, I don't understand your whole point. The BA is funded by homebrewers and by breweries. Of course that is who they are going to be lobbying for. Just because you do not see the end result does not mean they are not working on it. Just because there isn't a cure for cancer does not mean people are not working on it.

I think you are just arguing to argue, or just want to be right. Of course if people benefit in craft beer you can find an indirect benefit to the breweries. Should the BA be promoting feeding the hungry, welfare, gun rights?

Also, I don't understand your whole point. The BA is funded by homebrewers and by breweries. Of course that is who they are going to be lobbying for. Just because you do not see the end result does not mean they are not working on it. Just because there isn't a cure for cancer does not mean people are not working on it.
My general point in this thread is that I don't think that BA, aside from lobbying, is important (and note that "important" and "useful" are distinct, I'm sure they do a lot of good things that help people like kuemmelbrau, but I don't think that if they suddenly stopped doing that the world would be much worse off). That general point has been contested in lots of different ways that are sort of hard to follow if you're not closely reading everything that we've said (and I don't blame anyone for not doing so). The thing about not being a consumer advocacy group was because of this:
My claim is that they only actually do lobbying that benefits their dues-paying members, and that there's a large (but not complete!) overlap between things that benefit brewers and things that benefit consumers. Is this point banal? Yeah, I thought so, then jtmartino kept arguing with me. So I dunno, ask him why he did that when it seems like everyone agrees on that point.

Anyway, am I just arguing to argue? I guess so. But then why the **** did you respond to me if not to do the same thing? That's what web forums are for, arguing about pointless ****.

Was it a CCBA meeting?
Yeah: http://www.brewersassociation.org/p...-california-craft-brewers-association-meeting

Here's the quote that I saw:

The final seminars of the day included a panel discussion on the possibility of growler sales at retail establishments, the 2014 hop supply review, and finally "The State of the Industry" presented by Joe Whitney of Sierra Nevada.

I'd be really interested to know what the reaction was to that panel, maybe this weekend I'll ask Tim if he was there. Though I've got like a dozen things I keep meaning to ask him and forgetting...

Back