Brew dogs heading to D.C.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score
The wife, the twobrewdogs (Charlie & Lucy) and I are heading up from Houston to D.C. next week in the RV. Time for some more blog entries!

Looking for suggestions of what breweries to hit along the way. Our route takes us:

• Lafayette, LA
  • Meridian, MS
  • Chattanooga, TN
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
  • Asheville, NC
  • Natural Bridge, VA
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Anderson, SC
  • Pine Mountain, GA
  • Grayton Beach, FL
  • Biloxi, MS
  • Scott, LA
We blog about the breweries with an eye towards how dog friendly they are. We've done Grayton Beach before and have written up Idyll Hounds and Grayton Beach Brewing. Also done Parish Brewing near Lafayette.

We hope to be heading West/NW for the summer and will be continuing the blog then as well.

Give us a follow!! Let's help out the local craft brewers.

It's a little north of DC but Seven Locks Brewing welcomes dogs every Sunday and supports pet charities. They're located in Rockville, MD and, by the way, make some tasty brews.

Charlotte NC just recently started enforcing stricter dog policies within breweries. Now all tap rooms in Mecklenburg county restrict dogs to patios :( probably good that you are skipping us now, but last year you would have had a blast with the pups!

Sounds like your route could take you through Huntsville AL. Check out Campus 805. Yellowhammer and Straight to Ale have outside spaces on a grassy lawn. Salty Nut is just down the road a couple of blocks.

http://campus805.com/arts-and-entertainment/

Get a purple cup and take Charlie and Lucy for a stroll.

If you have time there are more breweries and taprooms to visit in Huntsville and Madison.

Drive safe and give the dogs a treat.
Go Dynamo. Forever Orange!

Fairwinds Brewery in Lorton, VA. Located 15 min outside of D.C. Military owned. Great tap room with a large selection!

plenty of awesome brews out here in Loudoun County, if you make it out anywhere near Dulles airport

we also have plenty of wineries, cideries and distilleries

and, didn't know until just now: we have a meadery!

Traveling from Pine Mountain GA to Anderson SC may bring you near Athens GA. Traveling in an RV, there is a great State Park just down the road in Winder GA, Fort Yargo. If possible, hit Terrapin and Creature Comfort. Both are pet friendly and have great offerings. If you are not familiar with them, Creature Comfort has more true to style beers and Terrapin has more exotic and experimental choices. If you can only get to one, my choice would be Terrapin more so for the pups. They have a large field area behind the brewery with a serving bar, picnic tables, field games (frisbee/ horse shoes / corn hole etc. ), local food truck offerings and live music. Creature Comfort was a tire shop/warehouse in the city. Check their web sites for operating days and hours as that GA laws restrict breweries tighter than most other states.

Thanks for the suggestions all. We set out tomorrow. First stop looks like it will be Cajun Brewing in Lafayette. We've done Parish before (see our review in the blog). Time to get the liver ready........

Anderson, SC has a brewery downtown called Carolina Bauernhaus Ales. I don't think dogs can come into the brewery unless it is a service animal. I may be wrong about that though. They have a tap room and there is a yeast company housed there as well (SouthYeast Labs) that focuses on yeast harvested from local sources.

Ya had me excited...Thought you were talking about the Scots that did the crazy brews around the world. Miss them on TV.

plenty of awesome brews out here in Loudoun County, if you make it out anywhere near Dulles airport

we also have plenty of wineries, cideries and distilleries

and, didn't know until just now: we have a meadery!

Agree 100%. I haven't found anything in the District to be better than stuff in the out in the burbs.

Check out Lazy Magnolia while passing through Biloxi MS. It is off of I-10 near Bay St Louis which is a little West of Biloxi. They where the first brewery in Mississippi & by far the largest in terms of production. The beer is pretty tasty as well!:D

Just got back from Bayou Teche, north of Lafayette, La. Very good. Will post review @ twobrewdogs.com

Natural Bridge gets you close to Devil's Backbone, Bold Rock Hard Cider and Wild Wolf Brewing, all on Hwy 151 east of Lexington.

Heading to Asheville in a couple of days.... already booked for Sierra Nevada. Other suggestions?

If you go to WW make sure to check out the bar downstairs! I was about to leave when someone mentioned that hidden gem to me!

You can see all the breweries we visited in the Twobrewdogs blog in my signature.

With all of the sightseeing we did in DC we ended up being too tired to go out afterwards! That and your traffic sucks. We were on the north side of the beltway and everywhere was a bit of a ride. We did have lunch one day at Capitol Brewery and although we didn't blog about it (more of a restaurant that makes its own beer), we did enjoy the beer.

Best on the trip? Bayou Teche brewery in Lafayette, LA I'd have to say. The ones in Asheville were all pretty good (not a big New Belgium fan though) and I enjoyed the creativity of Burial. For hanging out you can't been the Asheville scene.

The next epic journey begins tomorrow!!

Heading west out of Houston, big loop up to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/Zion National Park. Along the way; Las Cruces, Roswell, Tombstone, Prescott, Winslow, Albuquerque, Phoenix........... Looked at my brewery guides and there are lots on the path, most all dog friendly. We've got our stickers to hand out so keep an eye open for them:

TwoBrewDogsC.jpeg

On the final week of the above mentioned journey. We ditched Las Vegas when we saw 117+ degree temps forecasted. Instead, we went up into Utah and visited Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands National parks. Awesome. Go. Now in Roswell (snore) and in Carlsbad caverns tomorrow. We've been hitting breweries all the way and blogging on the Twobrewdogs.com site. I can't get over how many good breweries there were in Albuquerque! Only 1 truly bad one on this trip. See if you can figure out which one is was from my very diplomatic reviews!!!! lol.. We don't like to bash anyone, but sometimes you just get a really bad one.......

Back