Brettanomyces Compounds & Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berebrando

Reaction score
I am looking for descriptions of the esters and phenols produced by Brettanomyces, and the flavors associated with those compounds.

I browsed through the Brettanomyces Project website but did not find what I'm looking for. Chad's BP focusses more on pure culture fermentation than mixed fermentations. My hope is that the scientists out there can help out. Please help!

I'm looking for responses like "Brettanomyces converts ethyl blah blah blah into 4-vinyl blah blah blah, producing flavors most call horse blanket."

Here are a couple compounds I was able to find on the interwebs. Hope the community can help me fill in the blanks:

• 4-ethyl phenol - derived from X, flavor Y
  • 4-ethyl guaiacol - derived from X, flavor Y
  • isovaleric acid - derived from X, flavor Y

Here's some information I found (reference info following):

"The aroma characteristics of their spoilage-causing metabolites were described as burnt plastic, smoky, barnyard, horse sweat, leather, and wet wool (Boulton et al. 1996, Chatonnet et al. 1992, Fugelsang 1997, Heimoff 1996, Heresztyn 1986, Ibeas et al. 1996, Licker et al. 1998). "

"When we refer to bretty flavors we refer to aromas such as burnt plastic, bandaid™, barnyard, manure, creosote, wet wool, sweaty leather, and a bitter, matallic-like taste... Mousiness is a distinct flavor which is perceived retronasally, it is almost never smelled. It is described as the aroma of mouse or rodent urine, in some mild cases it has been described as black walnut like. While the smoky, barnyardy, sweaty aromas are found attractive by some people, the mousy flavor is always strongly rejected by people who perceive it. Heresztyn (1986) described tetrahydropyridines formed by some isolates of Brettanomyces and by some lactobacilli as the chemicals responsible for the mousy taint. The taint was produced by each class of microorganisms only in the presence of lysine and ethanol. Researchers at the Australian Wine Research Institute (Henschke 1996a) have since identified two additional compounds associated with mousiness and produced by both Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus species: 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline (ACPY) and ethyltetrahydropyridine (ETPY). "

"Brettanomyces in Wine," Thomas Henick-Kling(1), Christoph Egli, Jonathan Licker, Craig Mitrakul, Terry E. Acree, (1)Associate Professor for Enology, Cornell University, Department of Food Science and Technology, Geneva, NY 14456-0462, USA.

I guess, at the end of the day, it would be great to say:

1. I want to produce a wild ale that has a significant leather aroma and flavor to it.
  2. Leather flavor/aroma is derived from X compound
  3. X compound is produced by Brett using Y compound
  4. Y compound equates to Z flavors, which are major flavors produced by WLP/WY Sacc 000
  5. So, brew a beer with WLP/WY Sacc 000 and add WLP/WY Brett a, b or c.

Anyone got any info to share? Any leads?

You need to get a copy of wild brews. It has a chart with the information you are looking for.

TNGabe said:
You need to get a copy of wild brews. It has a chart with the information you are looking for.

I have WB and will check it out! Thank you! I knew I had seen this information somewhere but couldn't figure out where. Thanks! I will post the information here for future reference too.

TNGabe said:
p 103 there are a couple typos -

Yeah it seems like the line breaks in the table are all messed up.

Are you aware of any tables or resources indicating the precursors to these compounds?

I think Al Buck and Chad Yakobson are fairly accessible and might nerd out on that with you. I've gotten pear, leather, and hay from White Labs brett brux in secondary after primary with Bastogne, but that's as far as I can take it. Let us know what you find!

Yeah it seems like the line breaks in the table are all messed up.

Are you aware of any tables or resources indicating the precursors to these compounds?

I think there are just two mistakes. 'Acetic' should have 'vinegrary' as a character. 'Butyric' should have 'cheesy-fatty' as a character. Both descriptors are shifted one column.

I'm not sure what you mean by precursors. The table show acids and their ester versions. I think the acids are all fermentation by products of wild yeasts and/or bacteria. Potentially, the esters are produced by brettanomyces from their respective acids and alcohol.

Acetic is produced by acetobacter and in small amounts by some brett strains. Lactic is produced by lactobacillus, pediococcus. Vaarious enterboacter make most of the bad smells that brett can potentially change into good smells. The chapter in Wild Brews with the chart has all of this info, you just have to dig for it. First time I read the book I understood about 2% of it. I think I'm up to about 20%. :D

I find it interesting that some of the esters are also found in hops, particularly some of the newer NZ varieties, mosaic, etc.

Back