Bootleggers Bliss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmofot

Reaction score
This is pretty much for anyone in the DC metro area (VA/MD/DC), but hell if anyone feels like they want to travel out for it, we got room, ha.

Here's the deal:

http://fatboydeluxe.com/blog/2006/09/21/bootleggers-bliss/

It's all about bikes and beer and it is loosely based on the Indian concept of the "potlach". Read more about the philosophy here:

http://wrenchinthegears.blogspot.com/2006/09/potable-potlatch.html

But basically it is a festival celebrating bikes and homebrew in all their glory. No fees, no prizes, no swag, just bikes and great homebrew.

DT

Seems like a bad mix, but who knows - it might be fun. At first I thought it was motorcycles - which would be much worse

Don't try that in New York and a few outher states.
If you get pulled over and get a DUI on your bicycle, you will loose your license.

Yea, mountain biking so not a whole lot to worry about in the DUI category. Sorry no motorcycles, just the metabolically powered bikes...

I have to say that I never understood the connection between homebrewing and bicycling. There used to be a bunch of bicycling homebrewers in the Peoria area. In fact, there used to be a LHBS here in P-Town that doubled as a bike shop (Deep Elem). The owner used to organize brews and rides.

I never understood the connection.

Rock on . . biking brewers.

As George Constanza once said, "I'm a Bootlegger!!!!!"

Time and place - TBD? It's less than 2 months away!

Well I think the connection is more with beer in general. Not to throw out vague generalizations, but a lot of bikers enjoy a beer (s) after riding. I know when we go mountain biking, we usually keep a cooler of the good stuff in the car for when we are done.

There are plenty of biking/drinking rides around here, we're just trying to bridge the gap and hope to get a few people to catch the homebrewing bug so they can brew their own good beer.

Hopefully that helps a little.

DT

sonvolt said:
I have to say that I never understood the connection between homebrewing and bicycling. There used to be a bunch of bicycling homebrewers in the Peoria area. In fact, there used to be a LHBS here in P-Town that doubled as a bike shop (Deep Elem). The owner used to organize brews and rides.

sonvolt said:

. .. last thing I want to do when I'm drinking is get on a bicycle. Just sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially if you're off-roading. I can sometimes barely sit on a barstool when having a homebrew or two, let alone a bicycle.

But, if these people are truly that talented, then more power to them--I bow down to their skills. :D

D*Bo said:
Don't try that in New York and a few outher states.
If you get pulled over and get a DUI on your bicycle, you will loose your license.
Which is a complete and utter crock of you-know-what. I really wonder if it would hold up in a court of law.

What license would I lose? My BICYCLE license? I wasn't aware any state required them. My driver's license? Since when does riding a bike require a driver's license? And how exactly does how I ride a bike correlate to how I drive a car?

I've been this route before. I got pulled over on a bicycle ride at 4am (I was on my way to work) and was sitting at a red light that operated on a demand circuit, which would never be tripped by a bicycle. After waiting to make sure the way was clear, I went through the light only to be pulled over by three - count them, THREE - police cruisers. They demanded to see a driver's license, and I refused, saying I didn't have one and didn't require one to ride a bike. They made a stink, but in the end I won the argument and got away with not one hint of a ticket. They knew I would win in court.

todd_k said:
As George Constanza once said, "I'm a Bootlegger!!!!!"

Time and place - TBD? It's less than 2 months away!

It's actually TBA, not TBD. We wanted to give people enough time to brew a batch if they didn't have something on hand or if they are new to homebrewing. Time and place won't be announced online either. It will be sent out in an email to people who have contacted me and expressed an interest. So anyone here interested should shoot me an email or a PM.

Biermann said:
. .. last thing I want to do when I'm drinking is get on a bicycle. Just sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially if you're off-roading. I can sometimes barely sit on a barstool when having a homebrew or two, let alone a bicycle.

But, if these people are truly that talented, then more power to them--I bow down to their skills.

It's not as hard as it sounds and it's definitely better than drinking and then getting in the car. The idea isn't for people at this event to be drunk off their ass, which yes, occaisionally does make riding a bike hard, but for people to throw back a few homebrewed beers while enjoying another passion, mountain biking. Mountain biking and beer events have been around for a long time, we're just adding the homebrew only aspect.

For your viewing pleasure - a few past biking/drinking events:

2006 Single Speed Punk Bike Enduro
2005 PBE
2003 PBE
More 2006 photos

DT

Don't forget roadies>>>

colorado tour.jpg

Latest posts

Back