BJCP BOS Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyAAlexander

Reaction score
A friend and I entered a BJCP judged event. He won the American Wheat subcategory. The guy that got second place in the American Wheat category also got Silver BOS, while my buddy didn't place BOS.

Is this something that happens often?

I also won second place in the IPA category! Losing to the BOS winner. Recipe

There really are no winners for a sub category. American wheat is lumped in with 3 other beer styles in light hybrids. There would typically be a first, second and third assigned for the whole category. There is no requirement that each subcategory has to place either. 3 blonde ales could take all the places.

You may be getting confused by terms. There is sometimes a mini best of show if there are more than 2 sets of judges for the category. Each set sends several along and the highest ranked judges typically pick 1-3rd based totally on merit and not score.

Only 1st place beers move on to the best of show. One winner is selected and sometimes runner up and 3rd best of show as well.

Does that help to clear anything up for you?

American wheat is lumped in with 3 other beer styles in light hybrids. There would typically be a first, second and third assigned for the whole category.

This is what happened, sorry I didnt clarify enough. He entered an America Wheat, which won the AW,Blonde, and Fruit

But no this was not a Mini-BOS. The second place of the "light hybrid" category won Silver BOS.

But thanks it does help.

This is what happened, sorry I didnt clarify enough. He entered an America Wheat, which won the AW,Blonde, and Fruit

But no this was not a Mini-BOS. The second place of the "light hybrid" category won Silver BOS.

But thanks it does help.

It sounds like they may have not followed the normal category grouping. The light hybrid category doesn't have fruit beers in it typically. Do you have a link to the competition results? I could probably get a better idea of what they did if I see how things are broken down.

It's only on Facebook, so I apologize. They were supposed to have all the American categories, in honor of American Craft beer week, but i'd imagine they grouped the ones due to lack on entries.

Results

Website

It looks like someone probably made a mistake somewhere. Either they have the 1st and 2nd wrong on that list, and they cherry beer was really 1st in the category, or they mixed it up and sent the 2nd place beer to the best of show table. Either way, I'd probably have your friend contact the competition coordinator and ask. That'd be really frustrating to me if the 2nd place beer was accidentally sent along instead of my beer. It happens, but it's still annoying.

The two may have been so close, that the judges decided to send both to the BOS. I've heard Jamil talk about that happening once on his podcast.

Back