biab mash variance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandley

Reaction score
I am in the middle of doing my second BIAB. I've noticed that there seems to be a variance in the temps in the mash. I have a digital Therm probe in the kettle. When I stir the grain I can get as much as a 3 or 4 degree change depending on where the probe is, and its not just from bottom to top. How do I know what temp I'm really at?

How long did you stir the mash before taking the temp? It usually takes me a good 5-10 minutes of stirring for the temp to stabilize throughout.

How long did you stir the mash before taking the temp? It usually takes me a good 5-10 minutes of stirring for the temp to stabilize throughout.

Well then, that's my problem. I stir briefly b/c I am always trying to have the lid off for the shortest time to conserve heat.

If I am contemplating firing the kettle to raise mash temp, I always stir to redistribute the thermal layers. Usually results in temp exactly where I need them to be. Its kinda eerie to dough in, close the lid and watch the temp climb as heat rises to the top. :mug:

Well then, that's my problem. I stir briefly b/c I am always trying to have the lid off for the shortest time to conserve heat.

I was afraid of heat loss at first too, but you have a LOT of thermal mass there. It will take a while for it to drop even a couple of degrees. Last time I brewed I didn't stick it in the warm oven (like I used to) and just let it sit with the lid on on top of my stove. I only lost 2 degrees F over an hour. So get stirring.

Latest posts

Back