Best method to add cherries Wisconsin Belgian Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
G'Morning guys, and Happy Homebrew Day!!! I wish I was off work to brew up something. Grrrr

I have a New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red kit that I brewed up last Saturday. This was a 1.070 OG all grain brew with 6 lbs of frozen cherries that are supposed to go into the secondary. I'm using WLP550 yeast.

The kit recipe states to transfer this to the 2nd after one week in the primary, but I still have quite a bit of activity in the carboy and although I have not checked the gravity, it's obvious the yeast are still munching on the wort. I'm in no particular hurry to rush it and it's in my temp controlled freezer set at 68*. Would there be any reason to move this to the 2nd if there is still active fermentation?

So when the time does come to transfer this, what would be the best way to add the cherries? I have used cherries in the past in a hard cherry limeade where I mashed and heated them first in the primary, but this recipe does not mention anything other than to just add to secondary. I'm using the frozen cherries from Walmart. Doyle brand maybe? Never the less, since they are frozen and packaged, I'm assuming they should not need boiled.

I have several options.

1. Put them in whole
2. Mash and boil
3. chop up in the food processor
4. Run them through the juicing sieve from my Kitchenaid mixer.

Personally, I would like to extract the most flavor from these cherries that I can. I'm leaning toward running them through my juicing sieve and then just toss the pulp, juice and all in the secondary. I'm not really worried about the solids since they'll eventually settle out. I just want a good strong burst of cherry flavor come out in the batch. The juicer on my Kitchenaid will make quick work out of 6lbs. Might take a whole 2 minutes to run them through.

I started with about 5.75 gallons of wort with this batch in a 6.5 carboy, and lost maybe 3/4 gallon due to blowoff. Do ya'll think there is a possibility of the yeast going nuts on the cherries when I add those? Would I not benefit maybe to use a 6 gallon carboy for the secondary instead of a 5 since I have so much fruit going in?

I can flood the headspace with C02 if needed.

Ken

+1 on leaving it in primary a bit longer - a week does not seem like enough time for a 1.070 beer. I would give it 2 weeks, then transfer.

If you are not worried about the solids/pulp, etc...... I would just leave them whole. Seems like it would be more sanitary and reduce the chance of picking up anything nasty that could be lurking in the juicer. If it is all going in anyway, I don't see the point of juicing them.

I would also use the bigger carboy and flush with some CO2.

I just picked up 3 bottles of Wisconsin Belgian Red last week - hoping to try one out later today. Where did you get the kit from? I have an "attempt" at a New Glarus Cherry Stout that has been sitting in secondary for about 4 months. Probably bottle it one of these days and see if I got anywhere close.

I sure wish I could get my hands on a bottle. They don't sell them down here. Grrr.

I purchased my ingredients for the kit at Alabrew just south of Birmingham. Don't know that I've ever seen the recipe in the main brew supply sites. Not sure if it's a common recipe that people use.

I was thinking I might need to leave it for a while. I don't have any future brews lined up to do so I'm in no particular hurry to rush it.

I seen some beer reviews for this brand. Seems everyone always speaks about the burst of cherries. Although, I think the commercial version lets it sit on the cherries and age for a year or so. I'm not prepared to wait that long which is why I thought the juicing attachment might be a option. The good thing is, is that the parts are easy to disassemble and can be soaked in Starsan to clean, but no matter what equipment, there is still exposure to the air in the time it takes to run them through.

I sure wish I could get my hands on a bottle. They don't sell them down here. Grrr.

I purchased my ingredients for the kit at Alabrew just south of Birmingham. Don't know that I've ever seen the recipe in the main brew supply sites. Not sure if it's a common recipe that people use.

I was thinking I might need to leave it for a while. I don't have any future brews lined up to do so I'm in no particular hurry to rush it.

I seen some beer reviews for this brand. Seems everyone always speaks about the burst of cherries. Although, I think the commercial version lets it sit on the cherries and age for a year or so. I'm not prepared to wait that long which is why I thought the juicing attachment might be a option. The good thing is, is that the parts are easy to disassemble and can be soaked in Starsan to clean, but no matter what equipment, there is still exposure to the air in the time it takes to run them through.

I might be willing to trade you a bottle of this if you would like? Do you have any good IPAs?

I also believe there was a recipe in Zymurgy magazine for the clone if you do a little research you might come across it! Good luck!

Lol, I haven't hardened my taste buds yet enough to chance making or drinking any IPA's. The closest I have is a Mirror pond Pale Ale and a SNPA. Both of those were dry hopped. Lol, I guess I'm puss when it comes to the bitter beers. Maybe someday though. Lol

I just recently had the New Glarus Belgian Cherry. Holy amazing cherry flavor, Batman!

Let me know how that kit turns out. I'm typically not a guy who likes fruit in his beer, or beer that is perceptively sweet, but man... what an experience.

+1 to longer in primary. You can't go wrong.

Back