Bench capper made with 3/4" PVC pipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotnut

Reaction score
I have one of those red wing cappers. Finding bottles they won't work on is a simple task. I'd rather have a different set of challenges. :)

I'm thinking of buying a capping bell and building a bench capper with 3/4" PVC pipe. I've never seen anyone even suggest such a project, which is odd, since you can make just about anything with PVC pipe.

My thinking is making a simple Archimedes style lever, and rather than just having one pipe as the handle and capper, using elbow and t joints so that essentially there are two PVC pipes connected together for the handle, capper part, and the backing.

I would think the main problem would be that the pipes would crack at the stress points. Using double pipes would alleviate some of this. I'm figuring I could just have replacement parts ready made if that happens.

Any thoughts on this project? I am a terrible artist, but I could enclose a simple sketch of my idea.

I think the PVC handles won't stand up to the force needed to seat a cap. Maybe high stress sections could be another material or you could insert hardwood dowels where there is excess flexing of the PVC?

Seems like a lot of work. I bought an old cast iron bottle capper on eBay for $30. It will out last me.

Red wing cappers work on almost every bottle, assuming you're putting a standard cap on it. You just flip around the metal inserts (that hold the bottle neck) to cap larger diameter bottles and stubbys.

With that said, I spent $35 on an Agata bench capper so I don't have to fool around with a wing capper anymore. Works like a champ!

The downside, obviously, is I didn't get to sniff any glue while fiddling with a pvc project.
:ban:

I have never found a standard beer bottle that the wing capper wouldn't cap.

$14 for a wing capper $30 - $50 for a bench capper. By the time you get all your supplies etc, I doubt you can build one that is reliable and strong any cheaper.

Do you have a drill press. A while ago a HBT member described fitting the capping bell in the chuck of his drill press. Drill press motor is not used.

I've been convinced. I'll be buying a bench capper. At the same time, just for my own curiosity, I'll be assembling a PVC capper. If nothing else, it will make a nice display piece.

My twin lever wing capper works so well, I want something more challenging, I'd love to find the old style hammer capper that you whack with a mallet. I want something that takes a little talent, you guys with bench capers hah.

My twin lever wing capper works so well, I want something more challenging, I'd love to find the old style hammer capper that you whack with a mallet. I want something that takes a little talent, you guys with bench capers hah.

I'm not sure about talent, but this may give you some ideas for a new way you could try capping... :ban:

rectumXrays_bottleHook.jpg

Back