Bell's Hopslam (2014)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved Hopslam 2 years ago, but wasn't crazy about last years batch..picked up a sixer dated 1/16 tonight hoping it would redeem itself and it still tastes like vodka and sugar blended together.

Had 2 hopslam after drinking a growler of Notorious last night..

it tasted good...I think?

im starting to think that im just an ******* who doesnt appreciate anything

nugget nectar has not lived up to my expectations the past 3 years
hopslam has been "meh" to me both this year and last
every hoppy tired hands and hill farmstead thing ive tried in the past year plus has not wow'd me or twerked my nipples like people promised it would

maybe i need to give up this whole beer thing and start herding sheep

every hoppy tired hands and hill farmstead thing ive tried in the past year plus has not wow'd me or twerked my nipples like people promised it would

Your nipples seem to prefer Berliners from what I understand. Stick with whats twerkin dem nipples.

Nugget nectar isn't very good, imo. Do people think it is?
Hopslam was good, but not something I'd buy over a long list of other shelf beers here in CA.

I am really hoping HF, whenever I can try some, doesn't let me down.

Just stick to the Berliners and Tomes. You will be happier.

I enjoyed Nugget Nectar last year. Nothing I'm gonna beat my dick over, but definitely good stuff.

Nugget Nectar is good stuff.

You have to have it really fresh or really aged... that middle ground is not as good. lol

So Hypeslam finally showed up at my local stores today...29.99 a a 6-pack or 4.99 a bottle at one, at the other it was 4.99 a bottle, limit 3 bottles. Since I can't ever do the smart thing I bought a single bottle because I want to put it in a blind taste test this weekend against some other DIPAs. Otherwise I would have done what I wanted to do, which was pass on it entirely. But at least now I'm done with the release at minimal damage. I bought a 4-pack of Palate Wrecker for $12 instead.

So Hypeslam finally showed up at my local stores today...29.99 a a 6-pack or 4.99 a bottle at one, at the other it was 4.99 a bottle, limit 3 bottles. Since I can't ever do the smart thing I bought a single bottle because I want to put it in a blind taste test this weekend against some other DIPAs. Otherwise I would have done what I wanted to do, which was pass on it entirely. But at least now I'm done with the release at minimal damage. I bought a 4-pack of Palate Wrecker for $12 instead.
As ever, it amuses me greatly that Green Flash manages to get Palate Wrecker distributed in South Carolina before they get it to San Francisco. They have the worst NorCal distributor ever.

mmmm Palate Wrecker

well it looks like its all over new york, lets see about $6 a bottle (lol) so about $36/6pack or i'd guess around $38 with tax (loololloolololololoooololololololo) yeah passed on that

i went to a bottle shop in west new york, he got quite a few cases but did a 2 bottle limit for now so everyone has a chance to try it, i got 2 and i'm perfectly ok with that. the last time i had this was last summer at a bottle share, i really enjoyed it and i'm really happy that new york finally has bells but i honestly don't understand the price here....maybe it will change over time (doubtful)

well it looks like its all over new york, lets see about $6 a bottle (lol) so about $36/6pack or i'd guess around $38 with tax (loololloolololololoooololololololo) yeah passed on that

i went to a bottle shop in west new york, he got quite a few cases but did a 2 bottle limit for now so everyone has a chance to try it, i got 2 and i'm perfectly ok with that. the last time i had this was last summer at a bottle share, i really enjoyed it and i'm really happy that new york finally has bells but i honestly don't understand the price here....maybe it will change over time (doubtful)

Yeah, that's pretty outrageous. Granted, I'm from Michigan, but anything above $20/6 pack for Hopslam seems pretty insane.

0g0h9CB.gif

Standard price out here was $15.99/sixer.

$6/bottle, lol, that's KBS pricing. Damn.

Yeah, that's pretty outrageous. Granted, I'm from Michigan, but anything above $20/6 pack for Hopslam seems pretty insane.

yeah i'm used to prices being jacked its typical in new york, but close to $40 for an IPA is honestly a joke. if i went to a bar and it was around $6 for a pint on tap i'd give it a go. but the price that high for a 6pack is a bit of a buzkill

Just drink saison. das it mane.

As I expected, Hypeslam got worked over by Heady and Sucks in a blind taste test. What was even more surprising is that it finished 5th, behind also Palate Wrecker and Great Return from Hardywood Park (which has basically no hype of any sort).

Cheapest I've heard in the city is $20 at Whole Foods (although I think it's $18 if you buy a case)

As I expected, Hypeslam got worked over by Heady and Sucks in a blind taste test. What was even more surprising is that it finished 5th, behind also Palate Wrecker and Great Return from Hardywood Park (which has basically no hype of any sort).
I think it competes more in the triple IPA category.

It's probably the best I've had there.

I must admit I love this beer. Plus it takes on a secondary life when the hops turn bitter. Balances out the alcohol burn and honey sweetness. It's a fine line between that and "1 week too old no longer good."

Purchased my obligatory 6 pack...Still have two sitting in the fridge (snowbank). $14.99 at the local grocer. It's a fine beer, nothing to complain about on my end, just not something I'd drink often. Been that way for the last 3 years or so.

Back