Belgian Blonde with American Hops? Culturing Affligem Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a summer beer to please both myself and the girlfriend. I don't discriminate when it comes to beers, but for my paler beers, I prefer a nice hop flavor. My girlfriend prefers belgian witte's/saison's/blonde's. I'm looking to brew something in the middle. I found the recipe below in this forum and I love the grain bill.

A few questions regarding yeast and hops.

I just picked up a 330ml bottle of Affligem Blond. I see sediment in the bottom. Is this yeast from primary fermentation or secondary/bottle conditioning? I found one thread online that said he was able to culture and thought it was primary and a text based page that said it was most likely secondary. I'm going to see today if I can culture anything from it but was wondering if anyone had experience. Last week I cultured a 3L starter from 2 cans of Heady Topper and was surprised how easy it was. Want to start trying it more often.

Second, I have a pound of Simcoe hops and a pound of Clumbus on hand (see above previous brew, Heady Topper Clone). Is there any way I can incorporate these American hops into this Belgian Blonde grain bill/yesst and not completely lose the Belgian flavor/make the flavor completely imbalanced?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/revvys-belgian-blonde-leffe-clone-202852/

Revvy's Blonde
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 4/25/2010
Style: Belgian Blond Ale Brewer: Michael
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal
Boil Time: 90 min (Pilsner malts)

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs 13.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.61 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.32 %
5.3 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.75 %
3.5 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 1.83 %

1.36 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
0.71 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.0 IBU

10.6 oz Sugar, Table (Last 15 minutes of boil) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.49 %

1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Mash In: Add 14.20 qt of water at 178.4 F
Hold mash at 158.0 F for 45 min

Sparge with 4.47 gal of 168.0 F water.

Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.41 gal

Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.058 SG with all grains/extracts added.

Back