Bavarian wheat grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am planning on buying a couple of bulk sacks of grain from my LHBS. More specifically, I am planning on purchasing some sort of wheat malt and 2-row for a Bavarian Hefe I frequently brew. Unfortunately, it appears that all they sell is American made grains and the nearest store that sells German grains in bulk is over an hour away. Is it a problem to use grains from a different region than where the beer is from? I really don't want to make the commute but I will if I have to. Thank you for your feedback.

- Casey

I personally haven't found it to make a big difference. Using american grains I have blind taste-tested my beers against paulaner, ayinger and weihenstephan and not found them lacking. IMHO it is more important to use the right yeast (weihenstephan is my favorite), the right fermentation temp (62-64 degrees), and the right grain bill. I would use pils and or munich rather than 2 row, but I honestly haven't actually tried 2-row in a hefeweizen, so it might not make any difference. Note that I use white wheat. I tried red wheat once, and it tasted the same to me, but it left a hard-to-clean residue in all my bottles (i use alot of clear fliptop bottles, so it was easy to see and annoying).

I see you are from Greeley. I just visited there at thanksgiving and stopped in at weldwerks. Now juicy bits clone is my new favorite.

I personally haven't found it to make a big difference. Using american grains I have blind taste-tested my beers against paulaner, ayinger and weihenstephan and not found them lacking. IMHO it is more important to use the right yeast (weihenstephan is my favorite), the right fermentation temp (62-64 degrees), and the right grain bill. I would use pils and or munich rather than 2 row, but I honestly haven't actually tried 2-row in a hefeweizen, so it might not make any difference. Note that I use white wheat. I tried red wheat once, and it tasted the same to me, but it left a hard-to-clean residue in all my bottles (i use alot of clear fliptop bottles, so it was easy to see and annoying).

I see you are from Greeley. I just visited there at thanksgiving and stopped in at weldwerks. Now juicy bits clone is my new favorite.

Thank you. That's pretty much what I figured. I'll definitely think about getting pils instead of 2 row. I'm glad you enjoyed weldwerks! They're one of my favorites in a town that has so many awesome breweries. I've never had Juicy Bits before but I've heard great things about it. I mainly have their coffee stout. You'll have to shoot me your clone recipe.

Cheers!
Casey

I've never had Juicy Bits before but I've heard great things about it. I mainly have their coffee stout. You'll have to shoot me your clone recipe.

Neil Fisher (head brewer and co-founder) published it in last month's beer and brewing magazine. https://beerandbrewing.com/7FW4kwQB...rce=twitter.com&utm_content=juicy-bits-recipe

i used ekuanot, citra and amarillo in equal proportions, and I used 2 oz at flame-out and 2 more oz at 30 mins and let it stand another 30 mins. Otherwise I did it exactly by the recipe, with predictably delicious results.

Back