Strong Bitter Bardz-Esq. Ringwood Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markto

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1187 - Ringwood
Yeast Starter
2 L (300 B cells according to Brewer\\'s Friend calc)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 days @ 66-70 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
-
Additional Fermentation
-
Tasting Notes
See Below
10 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 88.9%
0.5 lb American - Victory 4.4%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 15L 4.4%
0.25 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 2.2%
11.25 lb Total

Amount Variety Type %AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9 First Wort 17.79
0.75 oz Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9 Boil 20 min 13.34
0.65 oz Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9 Boil 15 min 9.48
0.6 oz Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9 Boil 5 min 3.51
3 oz Total

Mashed @ 152 for 60 min
Pitched @ 66 F
Open Fermented (with sanitized mesh bag on top) @ 68-70 F for 2 days (until krausen dropped)
Put lid on, kept around 66-68 F for 14 days
Dropped to 59 F slowly over the last 3 days prior to bottling
Primed to 2.0-2.1 vols. with corn sugar

Tasting Notes:

A: Deep copper-orange color. Clear enough to read a computer screen through, but not paper. Solid, fluffy head that stays around for the pint, dissipating a bit.

S: Rich caramel and cookie aroma with hints of earthy/herbal hops. Dissonant in the early bottles, but has aged to be cohesive and unique.

T: Caramel, followed by a fresh herbal, almost minty flavor, with a yeast character bordering on belgian (wonder if I caught something wild during the open fermentation). Finishes with some more savory herbal flavors, a smooth bitterness, and a touch of alcohol. Aftertaste is complex, but seems like a mix of the hop flavor and bitterness.

M: Medium-Full body. Leaves tongue slightly oily. Very drinkable.

O: This beer started out as a gimmick/ode to a friend from a town called Ringwood, and early tastings made me wary (clashing/puzzling flavors), but this has totally grown on me. The most unique beer I have made, it certainly is not a British IPA, as the hops are too "out there" and the yeast took on a wild characteristic. However, it is nothing like an American IPA, as the malt is too forward and the hop schedule is too lean. Planned as a one-off, I now am planning to keep it on rotation and am curious how future batches will compare.

Any adjustments I might make would be trying UK-sourced crystal malts, perhaps Carastan (I think toffee notes would really fit in here).

Also, for those interested, the water is treated to:
Ca Mg Na Cl SO4
159 8 12 24 335

Definitely interesting. I was a bit reluctant given some of the descriptions I read, and I think they were pretty rough/too weird when the bottles were fresh. But now that they have been aging for 6 weeks or so, I must say I am a fan. They are herbal in a way I have not tasted before - as I mentioned in the tasting notes, there is almost a minty thing going on. I'm curious how they would interact with other hops.

What was your recipe like?

Cool, seems like a similar english-australian hybrid approach, but it's not really getting any flavor/aroma qualities with that one 60 min addition. If your interest is piqued, definitely try out my recipe to get a sense of POR's late-addition characteristics.

Back