Backsweetening with store-bought juice blend...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConSolo

Reaction score
Hey guys, super new to home brewing (Santa got me a cidermaking kit where you use store bought juice.) I’m 3rd batch in, first 2 were super dry (as expected.)
I’ve read a decent amount about backsweetening and it kickstarting secondary fermentation, how to stop it, fear of ‘sploding bottles, etc...

My question is about bottled (pasteurized, and assuming therefore nonfermentable) pure juice for backsweetening and flavor adding.

Looking at the Simply Nature (Aldi brand) organic 7 super fruit blend (will try to add photo.)

Does anyone have any input or experience with using juice, or what to expect, what if anything I’d need to add if using, what to be fearful of, etc?

(I’d really appreciate no “be careful of” posts without an explanation of why whatever happens that I need to look out for..as I’m still familiarizing myself with the basics and process before moving on to a more advanced method. )

thanks for any help with my first question and first post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Pasteurized doesn’t mean unfermentable, nor does the preservatives added to the juice prevent it from fermenting if there’s a viable amount of yeast still present. The preservatives would be diluted too much to do much good, and they prevent yeast from growing, but if there already yeast there they can still go to work.
If you want to sweeten without any further fermentation, you need to first allow you batch to clear. Once cleared, rack off the lees and then add sulfite and sorbate and mix in. Then you can use juice (or frozen juice concentrate) to sweeten you batch and add back stronger apple flavor that may have been lost.

Last edited:
Back