Back to E-brewing...flavor issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_2_Brew

Reaction score
I've been away from brewing for 5+ years and just got back. I replaced my old Camco ULWD element w/a Camco SS 5500 watt ULWD element. I remember my last few beers picked up an astringent (bitter/burnt) off flavor before I got out of brewing. Never figured out why and then got out of it. My first batch back had a similar taste. Interestingly, I tasted my wort that I used to check my OG, and the off flavor wasn't there...just very sweet wort. I looked at my old notes and I didn't mark down if it was present after boil or after fermentation previously. I never experienced this when I ran direct fire. I did some digging and most everything suggested to clean the element. As this was my first brew on the element, it was clean (I did a test boil w/water only)before brewday as well

Everything was freshly cleaned and sanitized a few days before brewing since it was idle. I rinsed and sanitized all equipment again during brewing process.

I batch sparge split between 2 sparges. I did turn the element on after it was submerged during sparge (50%) to get things rolling. I read 1 thing that suggested that was a cause. I was thinking I should've picked the flavor up in the OG sample if that was the case. Is that correct thinking?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated to help get back in the game and making good beer.

What was the recipe/style of beer?

I think most would start with asking about water, mash PH, and sparge temp/ph.

Are you confident the yeast was healthy, pitched in reasonable quantity, and fermented at a reasonable temp?

I sometimes get astringent but it’s really just young/yeasty flavor...any chance it just needs a little time to condition?

It was an IPA.

Water was tap water which I've used in the past. Prob should get an updated report. Never thought of that. Sparge temp came in a touch low at 166. I never got into checking pH. I'll have to look into that.

Yeast was US-05. Was within date. I did just dump in. I'll rehydrate next time.

Admittedly, I found I forget more than I remembered while going through this one. I'll look into those areas.

Thanks for the ideas to look at

It was an IPA.

Water was tap water which I've used in the past. Prob should get an updated report. Never thought of that. Sparge temp came in a touch low at 166. I never got into checking pH. I'll have to look into that.

Admittedly, I found I forget more than I remembered while going through this one. I'll look into those areas.

Is your tap water chlorinated? If so, you might want to get some Campden tabs to neutralize or go to the store and get some spring water.

It was an IPA.

Water reports are great especially if you use them in brewing software to be able to adjust to target mash ph and then measure results with quality ph meter. I do all of those things but many dont and make great beer. It’s up to you.

If your water tastes good and doesn’t smell like a bottle of clorox then a simple start would be to mix 50/50 RO...or just go 100% RO (a.k.a Spring water or the water from grocery filling station) on your next batch. Get a bottle of Calcium Chloride and a bottle of Gypsum on your next trip to LHBS. 2tsp of CC and 1 tsp Gypsum into your next IPA and see if it makes a difference. Search this site for the “Water Primer” for short cuts on treating water.

I think the sparge temp question is far more important if you’re sparging to hot. Heck, I sparge anywhere around 150F...i dont think it’s one of those you have to be precise about other than not over heating.

A lot of people (most?) dont rehydrate dry yeast....if you didn’t otherwise observe fermentation issues then probably not the issue. I rehydrate but that’s just me.

Back