Artisan Soda advice required (canning, carbonating etc)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlosSoda

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here as doing a bit of research…

I’m about to be made redundant from my job of 22 years and looking at what to do next. I already have my own business* with my wife and will hopefully be jumping on board with that but to do so will need to increase our offerings to make it worth my while, which is where this comes in.

I’m looking at developing a range of craft sodas (lemonade, cola, cherry are etc) for retail. I want to offer them in cans as opposed to glass bottles due to shipping costs.

The process I have in my head is as follows:

1. Create syrups/flavourings
2. Add syrups to can
3. Top up with carbonated water
4. Seal can

My main confusion is with regards to carbonating the product prior to canning. Would it be easier/more affordable to go down a cornykeg or inline carbonator.

Also, will I need to pasteurize the cans or if I have the appropriate pH will this not be a requirement?

* This business is already in the food & drink industry and have a supermarket standard (SALSA) premises with a good understanding of production, HCCAPs, documentation etc.

Back