Apricot wine advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
The apricot trees around here are all about to ripen and there are a TON of them. I want to try making an apricot wine (probably about 2 gallons worth) with some of them.

In the past I've used the apricots in meads, ciders and to fruit sour beers but I've never tried making a straight apricot wine.

What would you suggest to be a good apricot:sugar ratio? I've seen recipes call for anything between 3:2 and almost 1:1. I think hitting around 10-12% would be my ideal abv range.

Here's roughly what I was thinking:

* 6 lb pitted and quartered apricots
* 4 lb granulated sugar
* 3 campden tablets
* 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
* 1/3 tsp pectic enzyme
* 1 tsp acid blend
* 1/2 tsp wine tannin

Add all apricots to mesh bag in a brew bucket with everything but yeast and cover with water. Let rest for 24 hours, then add yeast. Allow to ferment for about a week before removing apricots. Rack to secondary carboy and age until clear, then bottle.

I'll probably end up using a kveik strain for fermentation rather than a wine yeast, although i do still have some D47 around that I could use too.

Any advice from anyone who's made a stone fruit wine before?

General Fruit wine advice, freeze them, thaw them, smash them, to get more juice and flavor.
Your sugar amount will control your ABV, shoot for an SG of about 1.090, ferment dry, then if you want sweet stabilize and backsweeten.

Back