anyone tried the latest fad? Hop water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Just saw Don O post a video about how to make hop water. I had never heard of it before yesterday but it's a thing.
Has anyone had it or tried to make their own? I guess I could see how it could taste decent on a super hot day. I dig carbonated water anyway but just wondering what others experiences are. Might be a fun way to experiment with different/new hop varieties.

He said you can get it in a couple breweries. Is it free or do they actually charge for carbonated water?

The bar we have our meetings at has hop water and I was going to try it and saw they are charging 3$. I laughed and moved on. Man we need a new place for club meetings.

Last edited:
$3 bucks? Damn! I guess they have to pay for the small amount of hops and c02 somehow, haha.

Wait, it's just a tea of hops or something? No beer? No alcohol? WTF is the point? That's like eating fat free BBQ or something, it's just wrong

$3 seems fair at a bar. Every chair has a limited number of hours per day that it can have a paying patron in it. They apparently determined that $3/hr is the minimum purchase they would like to get out of a seat in an hour. I know how painful it is for bartenders and owners when half of a group just drinks soda and takes up a huge part of the bar area while potential beer purchasers just leave because it's busy or have trouble getting through to the bar.

Just saw this post, after I saw an ad on the right for ALCOHOL FREE WHISKY. Once again, what is the point? My inner curmudgeon is saying this is just the new fad of the week for the "hip" crowd. Like Zima or something. Get off my hop plants you pesky kids!

Had carbonated hop water from Lagunitas a few weeks ago. No idea what it cost as I got it for free, but it wasnt to bad. It was surprisingly drinkable..but if someone said it was $3/12oz bottle...then pass.

Back