Anyone have experience with "Hot" fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krawu

Reaction score
New brewer here, I recently started my first mead but am scoping out how to best use my brewing equipment after that, looking to build up my own stock of aging wines and meads.
I already know that different yeasts do varying degrees of well in different temperatures. I've read that mead is usually best when fermented cool but have no practical experience backing that claim up yet.

Now, judging form experience, it may or may not get pretty hot during summer where I live. I'm talking indoors temperatures of 30-35°C, which is up to 95°F. I do have a basement stall but with the machinery in there it's not usually much cooler than summer.
Since AC isn't really a thing in residential houses in Germany, I was wondering if there is some product I might switch to making that actually benefits from these warm temperatures during fermentation. I am primarily looking at mead or wines, not so much grain-based ferments, since I don't have the gear (or taste) for that.

Do you have any recommendations what I might make during that hot time of the year? Or do you have experience with fermenting mead and wine at high temperatures and how that impacts taste?

You can brew with every kveik yeast and most of the saison yeasts within that range.

Lallemand Voss is a dried kveik strain but there are much more in liquid form from different manufacturers.

You've posted this in the 'Home Brewing Beer' section, so you might be a bit light on for replies. Beer brewers will all say KVEIK. These are yeast strains from Norway (with similar yeasts in nearby regions) that mostly either cope or thrive in hot temperatures. I'm not sure if they work well with mead or wine though. Maybe jump into the mead forum and ask if anyone has used Kveik?

You've posted this in the 'Home Brewing Beer' section, so you might be a bit light on for replies. Beer brewers will all say KVEIK. These are yeast strains from Norway (with similar yeasts in nearby regions) that mostly either cope or thrive in hot temperatures. I'm not sure if they work well with mead or wine though. Maybe jump into the mead forum and ask if anyone has used Kveik?

Oops, I didn't see the main category, just "General discussion."
If some kind mod could move the thread to the appropriate category I'd be very grateful.

Woopsy, I overread the wine part, I thought we'd be talking beer.

There are first successful mead experiments with kveik, however, they all need about double the dose of nutrients that beer yeasts would need. So better stick to the tosna protocol and choose the most demanding yeast within the calculation sheet to hey the right amount for kveiks.

Back