Anvil Foundry sparge + whirlpool SS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The efficiency difference would be negligible, if at all. Pouring over the top would be like a lazy fly sparge assuming you added it immediately after lifting the basket. I personally don't think the few percentage points you gain by sparging is worth having to heat up separate water and would rather add the extra 5% grain to just do a full volume no sparge. That is the added simplification that most enjoy about single vessel brewing.
But I thought the purpose behind the sparge in this setup is to get additional volume beyond what a full volume allows from a capacity perspective. Granted, I am only hoping to get 6.5g-7g tops as I ferment/serve from a 6g Torpedo, so maybe I won't be limited by this.

Has anyone else gone from traditional equipment to a Foundry? I feel like my current equipment works perfectly and am just trying to simplify my brew day. Anyone else on the same page with going electric?

@Noob_Brewer can you clarify your sparge process for larger grain bills? When you pull your grain bag out, do you then drain your anvil wort to a separate vessel and then sparge in the anvil? If so then I think I got it.
For my sparge process, remember I don't use the malt-pipe at all but rather have a bag on a false bottom, when I am done with mashing, I start to drain the wort to the second vessel with the bag in place. When the wort is about an inch above the grain bed, I start adding the sparge water one quart at a time with the bag still in place. After I've used all sparge water and when my second vessel has about 5-6 gallons of wort in it (depends on the beer Im brewing), I then raise the bag to let it drip the remaining wort while simultaneously pumping the wort back from the second vessel to the anvil foundry. So I hoist the grain bag vertically AFTER I've sparged and the bag is already "mostly" just grains with some wort left in it.

Hope this clears it up on my process.

The Anvil 10.5 has been ordered. I forgot to order those little clips that I think reduce flow through silicone tubing, should I have bought them? Or can I reduce flow using a ball valve on the pump?

I ordered the swirly arm and did not order the recirc system.

I am going to order the better pump from Amazon and remaining hardware from brewhardware. Can anyone help with what remaining pieces I need for whirlpooling and recirculating? Which size bag works?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back