An extract wheat recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusionOfTime

Reaction score
Alright, so I brewed my first beer a few weeks ago. I have to say whether or not the beer turns out great, I had a fantastic time and will definitely continue this with my friends and such. Next Tuesday will be the tasting day, which I'm looking forward to. Having said that, I brewed that one because supposedly the ales are an easier starting point. It was a LME with some specialty grains and such, (now having ready a considerable amount more of this forum, I wish I dry hopped) so it was pretty easy. I will no doubt be continuing on the extract path until I can create a space dedicated to the equipment that I will require to go All-Grain, as well as the space for the actual grain storage. Exciting indeed. Now, my question is if anyone can provide me with an exciting wheat recipe. I rather enjoy wheat’s, and tend to drink them almost exclusively, especially this time of year, so I definitely want to get something of my own on tap. Eventually I'd like to get to a point where I can do something of a Aventinus clone, that being one of my favorites, but I feel like I need to work up to that. More of a Weizen Bock I suppose... I'd like to start with something more along the lines of the Schnieder Weisse Original... I'll be doing another ale this weekend, and definitely am going to give the Hous pale ale from Edwort a try...somehow converted to extract. So yea, thanks for your help
:mug:

i brew one with 4 lbs of light DME and a can of wheat extract. I want more wheat flavor though. If you could get Wheat DME, I would try 6lbs wheat and 2 lbs light dme for a pronounced wheat flavor. Use a german wheat beer strain to get a more pronounced taste of cloves and banana. 68 is a good temp to femrent at to have a good balance of both. Find a good german hop and I would not add any finishing hops, sice you want the aroma of clove and banana to be more pronounced.

Check with your LHBS about the content of wheat DME though. Someone on here thought it was a mix of wheat and malt to make it.

Alright, so I brewed my first beer a few weeks ago. I have to say whether or not the beer turns out great, I had a fantastic time and will definitely continue this with my friends and such. Next Tuesday will be the tasting day, which I'm looking forward to.

Having said that, I brewed that one because supposedly the ales are an easier starting point. It was a LME with some specialty grains and such, (now having ready a considerable amount more of this forum, I wish I dry hopped) so it was pretty easy. I will no doubt be continuing on the extract path until I can create a space dedicated to the equipment that I will require to go All-Grain, as well as the space for the actual grain storage. Exciting indeed.

Now, my question is if anyone can provide me with an exciting wheat recipe. I rather enjoy wheat’s, and tend to drink them almost exclusively, especially this time of year, so I definitely want to get something of my own on tap.

Eventually I'd like to get to a point where I can do something of a Aventinus clone, that being one of my favorites, but I feel like I need to work up to that. More of a Weizen Bock I suppose... I'd like to start with something more along the lines of the Schnieder Weisse Original... I'll be doing another ale this weekend, and definitely am going to give the Hous pale ale from Edwort a try...somehow converted to extract.

So yea, thanks for your help
:mug:

there, fixed that...it was hard to read ;)

wheats are the absolute easiest beers to brew with extract.

here is a standard weizen recipe:

6 lbs - Wheat DME (or 7 lbs - Wheat LME)
0.75 - 1.00 oz Hallertau, Tettanger, or Saaz for 60 minutes
1 Vial - WLP 300

Seriously, you'll be suprised at how wonderful and complex it will be with those simple ingredients. I would start there and try to build on that later if you want.

I usually use munich in my weizens. it would need to be partial mashed, which basically means steeping it in a small amount of water for a small amount of time.

If you wanted to try this, you could steep 2 lbs of munich in 1/2 gallon of water for 30 minutes at 150-160°F for 30 minutes, then add more water with your extract and boil as usual.

I make lots of dunkelweizens. You could make one by steeping a small amount (start with 4 oz or so) of chocolate malt.

that's it! weizens are supposed to be simple and you'll get more complexity and a better profile if you stay simple with most beers ;)

whatever you do, don't use fruit :D

i brew one with 4 lbs of light DME and a can of wheat extract. I want more wheat flavor though. If you could get Wheat DME, I would try 6lbs wheat and 2 lbs light dme for a pronounced wheat flavor. Use a german wheat beer strain to get a more pronounced taste of cloves and banana. 68 is a good temp to femrent at to have a good balance of both. Find a good german hop and I would not add any finishing hops, sice you want the aroma of clove and banana to be more pronounced.

Check with your LHBS about the content of wheat DME though. Someone on here thought it was a mix of wheat and malt to make it.

if you want more wheat flavor, don't use any light dme. wheat dme is usually a 60/40 blend of wheat/barley anyway.

you could also do a partial mash with 70/30 wheat/barley, too. it's easy.

msg me if you want easy partial mash information. i've got a no-fail setup that only requires a large bag in addition to your extract equipment.

Deathbrewer has it right. Yooper confirmed that wheat dme is 50/50 so you can use it as your extract base.

+1 on the fruit. Wheat beers have a great flavor without it.

if you want more wheat flavor, don't use any light dme. wheat dme is usually a 60/40 blend of wheat/barley anyway.

you could also do a partial mash with 70/30 wheat/barley, too. it's easy.

msg me if you want easy partial mash information. i've got a no-fail setup that only requires a large bag in addition to your extract equipment.

I plan to move to AG for my next wheat. I have always PM since the beginning and recently started AG. Very easy, especially since I already PM'ed. I will look at your recipes before I brew to get some ideas. My american wheat was one of 3 full extracts I have done. The current American wheat is chuggable. SWMBO loves it and the BMC'ers like it. That means I messed it up. haha.

This is way off topic, but do you have a brother named Dustin?

I do have a brother named Dustin...do you know him...?

there, fixed that...it was hard to read ;)

yea...I always forget about the whole paragraph thing, once I get started on a thought, it's tough to stop...

Well, I'm stoked that there are some easy ways to get this done. I have always followed the philosiphy that simpler is always better so DeathBrewer's recipe will kick me into gear. I have faith in myself so I'll probably go ahead and steep the grains as well. woo hoo... I can't say that I was even thinking about fruit. I am a firm believer of no fruit in my beer. I've been reading enough on this forum :rockin: I just wanted to use the correct yeast strain.

Sorry to bump an antique thread....what if I have access to raw wheat ...could I use light DME and steep the raw wheat?

Sorry to bump an antique thread....what if I have access to raw wheat ...could I use light DME and steep the raw wheat?

Yes, but...
Which style of wheat beer are you planning? German, American, or Belgian wit?
Belgian wit will use a portion of unmalted wheat and could be done this way, but if you're using raw, unmalted wheat mixed with extract, the raw wheat should be mashed with a base malt or converted with amylase in a cereal mash before boiling. If you don't, the raw wheat won't convert and contribute sugars for fermentation. The bulk of the fermentables will be DME and you may not achieve your desired gravity.

Latest posts

Back