American Wheat Beer American Wheat pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
us-05 slurry
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
clean balanced tasty ale. Slight sweetnes from the honey malt.
So, SWMBO is coming around to pale ales and American style wheats. Before she would not touch a beer unless it had fruit flavor in it.:smack: So, she has opened her taste buds up to SN, burning river,firestone... She asked if I can make something along the lines of these but with the wheat beer flavor. I said OK. So FWIW I've made 4 different batches trying to dial in a taste profile she likes. With some luck the last batch I made was "much better than sierra nevada" in her own words. I took that as a compliment. Thought I would share it. Taste is hop citrus and slightly sweet from the crystal and honey matls. The soft white wheat lends a nice slight sourness to the brew. Not real malty, but seems to be well balanced. I am not good at descriptions of the flavors, so please bear with me.

Ingredients:

5 Gallon batch
------------
5.00 lb Pale Ale Malt (2 Row) US (4.0 SRM)
5.00 lb Soft white wheat (2.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Honey malt (23.0SRM)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (1 min)
0.50 oz citra [14.0%] (1 min)
0.50 oz centennial [10.0%] (1 min)
0.50 oz citra [14.0%] (DH 7 days)
0.50 oz El Dorado [15.0%] (DH 7 days)

mash 1.25 qt/lb @ 152 for 60 min.
vorlouf and fly sparge to collect 7 gallons
Boil 60 min
chill to 65
pitch Us-05 slurry from previous batch
Ferment @ 62 until gravity is stable. I let it go 18 days.
Dry hop 7 days
cold crash and hit with gelatin for a few days. clears out nicely.
keg and force carb to 2.7 volume.
Enjoy! :mug:

OG 1.055
FG 1.013

34 IBU
8 SRM
5.5% ABV

2ryreio.jpg

Looks like my american wheat I make; can't go wrong with citra or el dorado in an APA; i prefer low 60s when fermenting too; US-05 is great and allows hops and malt to shine; i want to try some honey malt next time; ever tried caravienne or simpsons naked oats in your other wheat recipes? i use those some in my wheats

Never tried those grains. Have used victory and Vienna in a few. I like the flavor of the victory in small percentages. Say 3% gives the flavor of bread. You can't lose with the citra/el dorado dry hop combo. So fresh and fruity. Love it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

I think this will be my next brew, and my first all grain if I can get around to ordering parts for my igloo mash tun. This looks like the perfect compromise between my need for some hops in my beer, and my family members who don't care for the IPAs and pales ales I normally drink.

One question (for now :D) when I plug your hop schedule into an IBU calculator, I only get about 20. Am I doing something wrong?

I think this will be my next brew, and my first all grain if I can get around to ordering parts for my igloo mash tun. This looks like the perfect compromise between my need for some hops in my beer, and my family members who don't care for the IPAs and pales ales I normally drink.

One question (for now :D) when I plug your hop schedule into an IBU calculator, I only get about 20. Am I doing something wrong?

What software are you using, and what settings? tinseth or rager? I use rager.

Just ran this in beersmith. It says 29 ibu. I used brewing assistant for the original recipe. You are right about brew365 giving 19-20 ibu. Don't know why there is so much difference? Any way, its a good beer! Let me know if you give it a go.

Just ran this in beersmith. It says 29 ibu. I used brewing assistant for the original recipe. You are right about brew365 giving 19-20 ibu. Don't know why there is so much difference? Any way, its a good beer! Let me know if you give it a go.

Alright, thanks a lot. I will trust you and make the recipe as designed. It sounds like a really good one. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Almost forgot - I notice that most wheat beer recipes call for rice hulls, and yours doesn't. Any reason why you left them out? It's my understanding that they help with the mash in some way, but don't really add anything to the beer.

I'm gonna keep trying... I drank a beer tonight that reminded me of this recipe, so I'm wondering how the OP would compare his beer to Boulevard 80-Acre hoppy wheat beer.

I found no need for the rice hulls with my system. Have not had any problems running off with this recipe. You may have to add to yours if you get a stuck sparge. Never had that beer. Will have to look for it around here to give it a try.

Just made me a batch of something similar to this; I used 50/50 wheat and 2-row and then honey malt; I've not used the honey malt before so I am leaving out the crystal to see what I get; I did add a touch of victory; hops i used were columbus for bittering and then lots of citra in the latter stages/dry hop. This is a good recipe for a dry hop/fruity/American style brew!

Just made me a batch of something similar to this; I used 50/50 wheat and 2-row and then honey malt; I've not used the honey malt before so I am leaving out the crystal to see what I get; I did add a touch of victory; hops i used were columbus for bittering and then lots of citra in the latter stages/dry hop. This is a good recipe for a dry hop/fruity/American style brew!

Agreed. Great recipe to experiment with. I'll bet it smells awesome with citra. I really like the flavor of victory, but it can be overpowering if you use too much.

I was planning on doing something similar. My cousin asked me to brew something with a honey and lemon flavor, so I thought an American wheat with honey malt and Sorachi Ace hops would work well. The grain bill was going to be 5# 2-row, 5# white wheat and 0.5# honey malt. For hops, I was going to use a little Magnum for bittering and 0.5 ounce additions of Sorachi Ace at 20, 15 and flameout for a total of 20 IBU's. Does that sound like it would work? I've never used Sorachi Ace before. I also have some Cascade and Citra hops that I could add to make it more interesting.

Also, any thoughts on if 0.5# of honey malt will give a good honey flavor for this grain bill. It's 1.052 OG.

I was planning on doing something similar. My cousin asked me to brew something with a honey and lemon flavor, so I thought an American wheat with honey malt and Sorachi Ace hops would work well. The grain bill was going to be 5# 2-row, 5# white wheat and 0.5# honey malt. For hops, I was going to use a little Magnum for bittering and 0.5 ounce additions of Sorachi Ace at 20, 15 and flameout for a total of 20 IBU's. Does that sound like it would work? I've never used Sorachi Ace before. I also have some Cascade and Citra hops that I could add to make it more interesting.

Also, any thoughts on if 0.5# of honey malt will give a good honey flavor for this grain bill. It's 1.052 OG.

Les, I'd like to know how this brew turns out if you go forward with it. I just did a test brew 1.75 gal, of kinda the same thinking. I used SA for bittering @ 60 cascade @20, and motueka @ 10 and @ 5. I tasted a sample 3 days ago and it tasted good. tonite I think Im going to bottle it. I can't wait to crack one open and see how it turns out.

btw I had an OG of 1.066

I'm actually going to be brewing it tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I make out. I also decided to go with the East Coast Kolsch yeast instead of an American hefe yeast.

I'm actually going to be brewing it tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I make out. I also decided to go with the East Coast Kolsch yeast instead of an American hefe yeast.

I hear that the Kolsch yeast should be good . I would have used Wyeast American Wheat 1010, but this time I used SafbrewS-33 I had on hand for an emergency . I never used this yeast before. I researched it and found It really does not do what the Mfg. says it does. Belgium Style, Fruity esters, and some spicy notes? Most say it comes through neutral I also read that it's been used for wheats. So if it's a neutral yeast, I felt this would good for what I'm trying to do. Even if it gave a little Spicy notes, that mite be good. Tastes great from the 2 Hydro samples I took. OG 1.066 FG 1.015 6.7 % ABV. Cold Crashed it lastnite. Ill give it 2 days, Then bottle. Time will tell.
Good luck with yours.

Should work out good. I've only used sorachi ace as a dry hop. Any clean American yeast will make this a nice easy drinker. Or if you are looking for more of a Belgian then go that route. The base recipe lends itself to many interpretations. Let us know how it turns out.

Bumping this. Finally getting around to ordering supplies to make this.

Well, the hot Houston summer caught up to me and I never got around to brewing this, or even buying supplies. So this will be my first brew of the new season, which for me starts now! And most exciting, I have a mash tun on the way, should be delivered today or Monday, so this will also be my first all-grain brew!

I haven't yet bought a sparging arm, so I will be batch sparging rather than fly sparging. Also I have no idea what my efficiency will be with new equipment. Any recommendations as to should I bump up the grain bill a bit? Or if not, I guess no harm done if this ends up a bit smaller beer than the original and I can adjust the next time I brew it.

Brew day will probably be Wednesday, so I will report back then with my experience.

Didn't have what I needed to brew on Wednesday - got it in today. Just put it in the fermentor a couple hours ago. Updates coming.

I found no need for the rice hulls with my system. Have not had any problems running off with this recipe. You may have to add to yours if you get a stuck sparge. Never had that beer. Will have to look for it around here to give it a try.

So I did end up having both a stuck mash and sparge. My mash tun and false bottom came from Adventures in Hombrewing. It's the bottom with the slits rather than round holes. Since this as my first all grain, I wasn't sure exactly what to do, other than dig around with my mash spoon and get it flowing again. I did drain off a bit of wort and pour it back in, in case I had pushed some husks through. So for anyone with this style of false bottom, rice hulls would probably be a good idea. I'm definitely going to use them with my next wheat beer.

Looks like no one else is following this thread any more. I bottled mine today. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.008. I think my mash temps were too low, and I may have boiled off a bit much as well. Not sure how this will effect flavor of the beer. I assume dryer and a little more alcohol. Less body?

I was also surprised how dark this looked in the carboy. An experienced brewing friend who also works at the LHBS thought the original recipe would be too dark, and recommended I replace the Crystal 60 and 20 with all Crystal 10. And it still looks really dark. I guess we'll see how the final product turns out.

By bottling today, I'm hoping this will be carbed up and ready to drink on Super Bowl Sunday! I believe I ended up carbing to about 2.8 volumes, so I'm hoping 16 days is long enough.

Cheers! :mug:

Still following. I had brewed an American wheat with about 5# wheat, 5# 2-row and 0.5# honey malt. Mash temp was 152 and it ended up way too sweet. I don't have any other details on me right now. I'll definitely be dropping down to 0.25# of honey malt next time and see if I can get it to attenuate better next time.

Looks like no one else is following this thread any more. I bottled mine today. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.008. I think my mash temps were too low, and I may have boiled off a bit much as well. Not sure how this will effect flavor of the beer. I assume dryer and a little more alcohol. Less body?

I was also surprised how dark this looked in the carboy. An experienced brewing friend who also works at the LHBS thought the original recipe would be too dark, and recommended I replace the Crystal 60 and 20 with all Crystal 10. And it still looks really dark. I guess we'll see how the final product turns out.

By bottling today, I'm hoping this will be carbed up and ready to drink on Super Bowl Sunday! I believe I ended up carbing to about 2.8 volumes, so I'm hoping 16 days is long enough.

Cheers! :mug:

Well, no worries regarding carbonation by the Super Bowl. Popped one in the fridge last night, and opened it tonight. I think it needs a little more time in the bottle to smooth out and reach it's peak, but it's fully carbed.

I also think I know the impact of the issues I had on brew day. It is pretty dry and the alcohol comes through a bit too much. The hop aromas and flavors are a bit strong for this style as well. With that combination and the higher 6.3% ABV it's more of an IPA light than a pale ale. Tastes more like 50 IBUs than 35. Of course, since I'm a hop head, I'd rather err on the side of too hoppy rather than not hoppy enough, so I will have no problems drinking this up. And most likely it will only get better (smoother/less harsh) after another week or two of conditioning.

Looks like the color came out alright too, maybe just a touch dark. Here's a pic. Aging and longer fridge time may fix that as well.

20150126_193531.jpg

That looks good! a bit darker in color than what i got. I will be making this again as soon as the weather gets better. I have revised the recipe a bit since I last posted it, will update.

Back