American Wheat attempt - advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjinsa

Reaction score
Hi... I am going to try my own version of an American/hybrid wheat BIAB
I would like an easy drinking, refreshing summer beer with good citrus notes...

Beer smith gives me for a 12L batch

OG 1.052
IBU 19.3
EBC 8

Grain bill
1.5kg Pale 2 row
1kg pale wheat
0.3kg torrified wheat
0.3kg rolled oats

Hops
10g Southern Passion 30m
10g Southern Passion 10m
10g Southern Passion 5m
(southern passion is a local hop in South Africa - passion fruit/citrus aroma 6.5% AA)

Fermentis U.S.-05 yeast

What do you think?

Should I add some finishing hops at flame out?
I want to also add a bit of spice and citrus - Orange peel and coriander seeds? How much (fresh orange peel)?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

I'd probably skip the rolled oats. I don't think they belong in a wheat beer. The rolled oats will give a slick mouthfeel and the oils may cause you to have a head that dissipates quickly.

Most of the orange flavor/aroma will come from the crushed coriander seeds but I still like to have some orange peel. I'd probably go for somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of fresh grated orange peel. Try to avoid the white pith of the orange peel as it is a bit astringent.

I agree with RM-MN.

When I use coriander seed and orange peel, I use them in the last 5 mins of the boil. I use 20 grams of coriander seed, 30 grams of orange peel. If you're buying the orange peel from the LHBS or something, look for the one that says sweet orange peel, not bitter. If you're going to try to zest your own orange peel, avoid the white pith, as he said.

I would personally also consider dry-hopping this one with like 30 grams of that hop. Maybe even up the 5 min addition to 30 grams as well. It will make a nice summer beer. It will be more like a "hoppy" wheat, but not have a crazy amount of bitterness, just plenty of pleasant hop aroma. One of my house recipes is a hoppy wheat beer, because it's just so easy-drinking, everyone likes it no matter what combo of hops I use.

If you wanted to try liquid yeast I would recommend wyeast 1010. It is a beast of a yeast...I build a starter and usually see activity within 6-12 hours.

Also, great taste as I think it's spot on to that of Widmer Hefe.

How about 30g @5min and 30g dry hop as you suggest as well as the Orange/coriander.

12L goes into my fermenter... What amount of coriander and fresh orange peel would you suggest?. I am going to peel it very thin with a vegetable peeler...

I only have the Fermentis dry yeasts available. Such as us05 and s04, wb06, s33, T58 etc...

I like the idea of the oats but at about half the amount 0.15kg. US05 is a fine choice for an american wheat (low esters, clean ferment, leaves it lightly hazy). A 10g flameout hop addition that steeps for 10-15 minutes at ~170F would be a good choice IMO.

It's not an american wheat with the orange and coriander though - more of an "american" wit. I would opt to not include them this time, and if you rebrew this recipe then try them then.

Oh I was assuming that it was 19L, so I would half the amount of the adjuncts a bit. I agree with st pug that if you want a real American wheat you shouldn't add them this time. Don't go with a hefe yeast if you want an American wheat instead of a German wheat. Us-05 will work just fine.

So my suggestions for hop schedule is:

10g @ 30 min
10g @ 10 min
20g @ 5 min
30g @ dry hop

Though the idea of a 30g steep at 170f will give you nice flavor and aroma, if you feel like it's too much this time around, you'll still have a good beer on your hands with just the above.

I'm open to doing whatever. I love the southern passion hop aroma and love the citrus/spicy aroma and flavor of a Belgian wit. So it's kind of in between the two and I'm happy for it to be such. Will stick with he US05 for now. [emoji106][emoji106]

Should I remove the rolled oats and up the torrified to 0.5kg?

So will be
1.5kg pale 2 row
1kg pale wheat malt
0.5kg torrified wheat
0.15kg oats
Hops.... Southern passion
10g @ 30m
10g @ 10m
15g @ 5m

20g fresh orange peel @ 5m
12g coriander seed at 5m
20g hopstand Southern passion
30g dry hop southern passion

Thoughts?

Must I use half a whirlfloc tab or leave it out?

Back